WineXpert Wine kit failures.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earl

Reaction score
Has anyone had a kit failure? If so what did you track down the cause to be??

earl

Earl,

I think that most folks would agree that if follow directions, take no shortcuts, and don't cheat, you should have a wine complimentary of the cost of the kit. I think the two reasons why people are not happy with kits are

1. They buy the cheapest kit available and want it to taste like a $20 bottle of wine.

2. They do not de-gas their wines appropriately. If you look at wine judging cards, this is probably the largest mistake.

Hal

George's guarantee is nice! I would also put forth that if you have a kit that failed even though you followed the directions, the manufacturer's all have customer service depts. that will either help fix the problem or, in some necessary cases, replace the kit.

Now, if you go fiddlin' with the kit and don't follow the directions...well, that's another story!

I am getting ready to bottle my first kit and it is looking clear and smells great. My only concern is the addition of the sulfur prior to bottling.

Is it correct that if it is not degassed properly then the smell of sulfur will be prevelant in the wine??

earl

Not necessarily. Some of our early wines weren't properly degassed and there was no sulfur smell. We got lucky and nothing exploded, either.
smiley32.gif

Earl - It is up to you whether to add the sulfite before bottling. It is
advisable to do so if you anticipate aging your wine for more than a year
generally. If you think you can consume it in a year, leave it out. If you
think it is worthy of extended aging, you need to add it. If you want to
improve the odds that nothing will degrade the wine after bottling, add it.
A quarter teaspoon per 6 gallons is not likely to be noticeable.

earl said:
Is it correct that if it is not degassed properly then the smell of sulfur will be prevelant in the wine??

earl

Not unless you have too much sulfur. It is true that if your wine is not degassed properly it can make your wine have an off taste - usually sharp, acidic.

I have never had a failure as well. I have had a few technical malfunctions that I caused to my first kit when I sucked up a little sediment during bottling and not degassing good enough.

From anything I have ever read where someone had a true KIT malfunction, it normally was attributed to sanitation issues. So, clean that stuff really good and KEEP it clean and FOLLOW those directions to the letter and you should never have an issue.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

We my non degassed wine pushed the corks out I didnt have any explode but I did find a mess on the floor.

But its peach and i chilll it realy cold and it is great.

even when things dont go completely right this has been a great experiance. happy fermenting.

Latest posts

Back