Other White port kit? (No chocolate or fruit)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frtrey

Sacramental Wine Maker
Reaction score
Last year I made a batch of La Bodega port to be used as sacramental wine. We've gone through about half of it - using it only on high holy days. The congregation has been very receptive to it, but we have found an issue that was somewhat un-expected. It is far more difficult to get out of altar linens than the standard Taylor Tawny we use for general church use. We had a major feast last week and I brought up a bottle of Gewurz to be used and it went over OK- not as sweet- but my altar guild didn't put a contract out for me.

So here is my question: Is there a straight white port or even ice wine kit out there that doesn't include chocolate or fruit in it? Alternatively, is it possible to sweeten up, use a weaker yeast, and fortify another white kit?

The congregation has been very receptive to it, but we have found an issue that was somewhat un-expected. It is far more difficult to get out of altar linens than the standard Taylor Tawny we use for general church use.
OxiClean will get it out :slp

Oxiclean.jpg

You could always fortify a white wine to make it 'port like', but depending on the varietal or kit, there is no assurance it will turn out great depending on how sweet and fortified you want it. Ice wine kits are meant to make a very sweet, just about decadent drink that may not be what you're really looking for. White port itself is not nearly as common as red-based port, and it can be anything from very dry to sweet or lightly yellow to tawny. It's not uncommon to see it used for mixing drinks rather than being drank by itself.

The only 'white port' kit I've ever seen is the white chocolate port from RJS. I suppose it would be possible, if you could get a hold of one, to make it without adding the f-pack included with the kit. You could sweeten and fortify to your liking.

GaDawg OxyClean and Irish linen over time don't go well together...

RJS Ice Wine Riesling is very good - I am making the White Chocolate White Port - it is a little brown colour. The Ice Wine is golden and very sweet.

Back