Which wine book to buy??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cove Cottage

Reaction score
I finally got around to looking at George's specials for October and he has lots of books on special this month. Tell me which books you would suggest buying … and NO, I can’t buy them all.
smiley19.gif
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

John and I have only made 2 wine kits but I would like to get a little more adventurous … I found fruit on several palm trees when I was cleaning the yard last weekend, and I’m dying to try to make some wine out it. I know enough from reading the posts that I need to pick, wash, and freeze the fruit and that is where my knowledge stops! Perfect time for George to have books on sale. Let me know what you think…. mwm

First Steps in Wine Making - CJJ Berry - 226 pages

Great beginning book!

I love this book, because it's got some pretty strange recipes in it. His recipes are using "old-type" of ingredients (grains, raisins, lemon-rind, etc), but if you substitute those with different ones, you've got a great book. CJJ Berry really explains everything to a tee as to how everything works. At the end of the chapter, you feel like you know what he's talking about.

I am not familiar with the other books that George has listed, but I also suggest Terry Garey's "Joy of Home Winemaking"... Simple, straight-forward, very easy, usable recipes. Not much on methodology (or the "whys" of winemaking), but it's great on recipes. In contrast to Berry's book, you just take what Ms. Garey says, and it works. You don't know why it does, but it does.

Both books are very well-written, although Garey's book is a lot more humorous. I think Berry's got the english humor, but it doesn't come across so obvious as Garey's book does.

Otherwise, I can suggest you read, re-read and re-read again Jack Keller's website.

I hope this helps, and let us know which book you choose!

M.

Like Martina, I also suggest Terry Garey's "Joy of Home Winemaking"... She's so easy to read and follow! Our favorite! Another fun book is Making Wild Wines &amp; Mead by Pattie Vargas &amp; Richard Gulling. Some of my favorite recipes are in there.

PWP and Martina,

Thanks for the suggestions ... they all sound good. Since you both recommended the Joy of Home Winemaking, I'll definitely get that one and maybe one of the others. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I'm planning a trip to several friends’ houses this weekend to get more palm fruit. With any luck, Ill have enough to make asmall batch.

Latest posts

Back