Which is a better cleaning product?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeboy

Reaction score
The wine store sold me the packet, and I had the oxinclean on the laundry shelf . Can i use either for cleaning and sanitizing? which should I use?

image.jpg

Last edited:
You need to use unscented OxyClean, if you use it. I'd go with the packet, myself. From the label, it looks to be a k meta based product.

Ok cool....The lady at the wine store said just spray everything down with the packet contents and rinse with warm water and away you go! True?

for sanitizing that would do but for cleaning I would soak everything in it as the pkg. says for at least 20 min., wipe well and rinse

Ok cool....The lady at the wine store said just spray everything down with the packet contents and rinse with warm water and away you go! True?

This makes me think even more that the packet contains everyday garden variety potassium metabisulfite (shortened on the forum to k meta) that you can probably buy cheaper in bulk.

My preferred cleaner/sanitizer is a product called Easy Clean. It's oxygen based like OxyClean but a dedicated beer/wine cleaner. Two minutes of contact sanitizes, too.

I then keep a spray bottle of k meta mixture around to spot-sanitize various items.

There are two things that must be accomplished with all equipment used in successful winemaking. It must be:

CLEAN: No visible gunk, grunge, smears or debris.

SANITIZED: Free of harmful yeasts and microbes that can taint your wine or lead to undesirable results.

Achieving both - every time - means you will have a high degree of certainty that you will produce good wines without infection-caused flaws and that you will be able to repeat your results reliably by following your notes and/or recipe.

Cleaning and sanitizing are, by and large different things; cleaning removes dirt and sanitizing kills microbes. You need to do both, with cleaning done first. Oxi-Clean comes in many varieties, including Oxi-Clean Versatile, but only Oxi-Clean Versatile Free does not contain chlorine, dye, or fragrances. It does require rinsing.

Like Jim, I prefer Easy Clean; it's cheap and simple to use. K-meta is an excellent sanitizer and I'd go for that or Star San if cost is an issue.

Cleaning and sanitizing are, by and large different things; cleaning removes dirt and sanitizing kills microbes. You need to do both, with cleaning done first. Oxi-Clean comes in many varieties, including Oxi-Clean Versatile, but only Oxi-Clean Versatile Free does not contain chlorine, dye, or fragrances. It does require rinsing.

Like Jim, I prefer Easy Clean; it's cheap and simple to use. K-meta is an excellent sanitizer and I'd go for that or Star San if cost is an issue.

I agree, the packet doesn't really say it contains a sanitizer, but the name implies it does. I would find out for sure.

The Oxyclean is NOT a sanitizer. If using it you must still sanitize anything that contacts the wine.

Saniton is a detergent

Saniton Cleaner

Saniton is a Detergent, useful for cleaning all home beer and wine-making equipment. Especially useful for stainless steel, where a chlorinated cleaner such as Sani-Brew could pit and corrode the metal. Removes very stubborn stains and dirt. Dissolve 2 g/litre of warm water (about 2 teaspoons per imperial gallon). Allow to soak for 20 minutes and scrub any stubborn stains. Rinse well with hot water. 5 ml (one teaspoon) = approximately 4.3 g. Contraindications: Not an effective sanitizer; must be used in conjunction with bacterial inhibitors. Avoid contact with strong acids and prolonged contact aluminum, tin, lead and zinc, as it will produce hydrogen gas. Composition: Sodium carbonate, sodium metasilicate. Hazard Classification: Corrosive. Exposure to dust may cause irritation to skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. If ingested can irritate digestive tract

Saniton Cleaner

Saniton is a Detergent, useful for cleaning all home beer and wine-making equipment. Especially useful for stainless steel, where a chlorinated cleaner such as Sani-Brew could pit and corrode the metal. Removes very stubborn stains and dirt. Dissolve 2 g/litre of warm water (about 2 teaspoons per imperial gallon). Allow to soak for 20 minutes and scrub any stubborn stains. Rinse well with hot water. 5 ml (one teaspoon) = approximately 4.3 g. Contraindications: Not an effective sanitizer; must be used in conjunction with bacterial inhibitors. Avoid contact with strong acids and prolonged contact aluminum, tin, lead and zinc, as it will produce hydrogen gas. Composition: Sodium carbonate, sodium metasilicate. Hazard Classification: Corrosive. Exposure to dust may cause irritation to skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. If ingested can irritate digestive tract

Thanks for that writeup.

So, with this product (or Oxyclean), one can (will!) get into big trouble not sanitizing afterward with a real sanitizer.

I guess i screwed up again....I was rinsing everything in a mild bleach mix. Then rinsing 5 or 6 times, then spraying down with the Sanitol and rinsing 5 or 6 times....then proceding. Could someone post some pics of the the cleaners in the packs please ? So, i know what to look for? Thanks

I guess i screwed up again....I was rinsing everything in a mild bleach mix. Then rinsing 5 or 6 times, then spraying down with the Sanitol and rinsing 5 or 6 times....then proceeding. Could someone post some pics of the the cleaners in the packs please ? So, i know what to look for? Thanks

I didn't post photos, but I have an article in WMT on cleaning and sanitizing you should read: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/entries/cleaning-and-sanitizing.html

Here's a link to one of WMT sponser's page on cleaning stuff: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/winemaking/wine-equipment/wine-cleaning

Last edited:
I think a distinction should be made between "cleaning" and "sanitizing."

I use a brewers cleaning solution for bottles and cleaning up used airlocks. But strictly use meta solution for sanitizing equipment prior to contact with the wine.

Is this idea of any help?

I would recommend never using any chlorine containing product anywhere in the winemaking arena, not even to clean the sink. If you have heard of corked wine or cork taint more often than not a chlorine based product is to blame. There have been documented cases of this impacting the wine even though the bleach was used in a floor drain. http://www.winemakermag.com/stories/wizard/article/203-chlorine-conundrum-country-wines-wine-wizard

Personally I like to use powdered brewers wash, PBW, as a cleaner, it is formulated for use on glass, plastic and stainless steel & not for use on aluminum. I have been using Craft Meister brand Alkaline Brewery Wash, but other brands of PBW are just fine. Who says no to free stuff? Not me, and I got 3# free. My label says to use 2oz per gallon of any temp water you desire, works in cold-warm-hot water. Your label may read differently. You allow the cleanser to remain in contact for 5-20 minutes so that the debris is loosened, then apply friction such as bottle brush/carboy brush/water pressure sprayer to remove debris & then rinse thoroughly. You can also use a mist/sprayer bottle to apply your PBW cleaning solution & if you have heavy soil or even carbon buildup you increase water temp, use 3oz PBW per gallon and allow to soak for up to 24 hours, then apply friction and rinse.

I sanitize with KMS sanitizing solution at the recommended 2oz/gallon. I also prefer to keep a dedicated 32oz mist/spray bottle filled with KMS sanitizing solution, (label clearly identifying as poison, contents, date made--as long as it still has that well known KMS aroma it is good). It is so very easy to adjust from fine line spray to varying degree of mist. I have had great success with misting carboy interior, it gets everywhere and I find I do not have to roll the carboy around to coat it all, the mist takes care of it. Of course I pop a solid bung in place so the SO2 fumes can mingle about for a while, but I ALWAYS allow items to dry if they are being put away. The good thing about KMS sanitizing solution is you can capture/recycle & reuse the solution if you want to because it is coming in contact with a 'clean' surface. I have a different marked bottle for all 'used' KMS sanitizer and I use it around the house.

**no idea why two photos attached**

ForumRunner_20130315_113559.png

ForumRunner_20130315_113636.png

Here's what I use. I just buy the 5 pounder and transfer to a smaller container as needed for use. Keeps me from lugging the 5-pounder around.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/searchspring/result/?cat=&q=easy+clean

(This is just one possible supplier. There are many.)

The chlorine is a subject of debate. Many winemakers use it, many others swear that is a terrible practice. The best home wine I ever tasted came from a 78-year-old guy who uses chlorine as his only sanitizer and has been making wine since his teens. I'm not going to judge. But I don't use it personally. Skeered!!! (probably by marketing hype) ;)

Last edited:
Here's what I use. I just buy the 5 pounder and transfer to a smaller container as needed for use. Keeps me from lugging the 5-pounder around.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/searchspring/result/?cat=&q=easy+clean

(This is just one possible supplier. There are many.)

The chlorine is a subject of debate. Many winemakers use it, many others swear that is a terrible practice. The best home wine I ever tasted came from a 78-year-old guy who uses chlorine as his only sanitizer and has been making wine since his teens. I'm not going to judge. But I don't use it personally. Skeered!!! (probably by marketing hype) ;)

I hear what you say about the old guy and chlorine. Some people just seem to always be able to defy the odds.
But if you look at the science of it all, chlorine and corks just don't mix.

Latest posts

Back