When to prune at the fruiting wire?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfzona

Supporting Members
Reaction score
I have some first year Marquettes that have just reached my cordon wire on a vertical shoot trellis. Should I cut them now to try and get some laterals or let them grow up to the catch wires the rest of the season and prune them at the cordon wire in the spring when they are dormant?

I'm also contemplating double trunking. If I do double trunks, do I start training the shoots that have reached the wire already along the bottom wire now, or let them grow up and tie them to the wire when they are dormant?

There is no specific way to do it. You can either cut at the mid wire and as the laterals form, train the top two to the wire each way for future cordon's. Often times though they don't grow large enough in diameter to try and do this the first year. Generally people let them grow sort of as a bush the first year to establish a large root system, trim back to a few buds next year and use two shoots as the trunks.

Latest posts

Back