When to press?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xriddle

Reaction score
From what i read when you reach 0° Brix, it is time to press. Is this correct?

Thanks

Thanks for starting this thread since I too have that question. I am by no means an expert, and will leave that to the local gurus. However, I've started a cold-climate grape (Frontenac) and was told to remove (press) the grapes between 2-5 days depending on personal taste. The Frontenac grape apparently can have some strong flavors if left in longer. My brix is currently at ~2 (this morning) after 4 days of fermentation, and I was going to press off later tonight when I got home from work, then start MLF when Brix gets to 0.

When I rack from primary to secondary container - i press then.

Usually when SG is between 1.000 - 1.005...

I would follow the recommendations for the type of grape you are processing.

As you said, it is partly personal taste and partly what is best for the varietal of grape. I have never made a Frontenac, myself. Maybe someone who has will comment, but your best bet is to follow the recommendations for your grape.

Frontenac can certainly have a very strong taste with very fruit forward aromas. If you want a light colored wine, press immediately after crushing, a couple days like you say will make a flavorful rose to light red wine. When left to ferment all the way, it develops deep flavors and increases the body. No need to worry about color extraction as frontenac has very deep pigments. MLF will increase mouthfeel and add complexity to it. Oak is optional, but it will hold up well to oaking. I like to use grapes around 25-28 brix as it has the best flavors at that stage when they develop a plummy, jamminess.

I made the same question on another post. I have cab growing and want to make sure I have this down by the time gets here. I thought cab was pressed just after they pass 1.040 and the MLF started before the ABV gets to high.

I'm with the Grapeman on this. From a stylistic point, there are those who press earlier and those who extend maceration for days. For CS and Sangiovese, I run the temp up as the wine approaches 0 Brix to assure full fermentation and then press. Let it settle a day or so and then into the barrel for MLF. I like to get my wine into the barrel and under an airlock soon after it goes dry - less chance for oxidation and infection.

Latest posts

Back