What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pictures, my son and I ate them...Deep fried Talapia fish sandwiches. Celebrating 1/2 day today and a return to work NEXT MONDAY! It's a first, don't think I've ever taken so much time off around turkey day. Work is slow so I will go. Time to clean some bottles and rack some wine, and oh yea, drink some. Have my 35th year HS reunion on Friday, should prove interesting. Haven't seen some of those people since graduation.

Burger night tonight. I've been binging on beef since Sunday. Beginning tomorrow, poultry binge.

Egg whites and brown rice.................after the gym.

We are headed to place called The Drunken Chef and Raw Bar. Lamb Sharma 4 ways, oysters please!

Steve

A nice pre-thanksgiving dinner. A fresh trout that was cooked spiced a la Paul Prudhomme,, and served with a pistachio butter sauce. A polenta with nutmeg and brie. And sauteed escarole with garlic, coriander, fennel, and braised with sherry. All three were mah-ve-lous. Washed down with Bogle Chardonnay (oaked and slightly fat).

Cleaned bottles this morning, racked this afternoon, so busy siphoning, cleaning, re-siphoning, sampling. Wifey put up the lights on the front porch as she does every Christmas season. Helped shed some light on dinner. Didn't want to go all out since the weather forecast was rather iffy, so did a quicky meal. Ham steaks, diced taters with onions and bacon, green beaners. Had with a glass of leftover bordeaux. Was incredibly pleasant and smooth. Better half said she'd drink it if I chilled it (she's getting there, one step at a time).

So if I can mustard the effort, I will steal a few 375 ml bottles after degassing one of the 5 gallon carboys. Otherwise I'll ketchup on some much needed laundry, bottle cleaning and internet surfing.

11-28-11_ham-o-steaks.jpg

11-28-11_taters.jpg

Got a little lazy with my short ribs and used Campbells "Tavern Roast Beef" slow cooker sauce. I first salted and peppered the ribs, then dredged in flour and seared all sides in a hot pan. Added the sauce and a little Sangiovese/Cab/Merlot and later put in some carrots and celery. Cooked for several hours in the crock pot. Served atop egg noodles.

IMG_3338.jpg

Everything is fine. But Short Ribs and egg noodles.......

Get a rope................ :)

Got a little lazy with my short ribs and used Campbells "Tavern Roast Beef" slow cooker sauce. I first salted and peppered the ribs, then dredged in flour and seared all sides in a hot pan. Added the sauce and a little Sangiovese/Cab/Merlot and later put in some carrots and celery. Cooked for several hours in the crock pot. Served atop egg noodles.

Made Hungarian pot roast last night..

1) took a cheap chuck steak, seared it to a dark brown in a touch of olive oil.
2) removed the meat, added 1 diced onion, 1 clove garlic, and some fresh mushrooms to the pan. (picture 1)
3) added some fresh thyme and rosemary to the pan (picture 2)
4) added caraway seeds, a good palm-full of real paprika and gave it a good stir.
5) I then added a can of beef stock, a can of water, and 1/2 bottle of wine. (picture 3)

6) Covered and brought to a simmer. I let her go for 5 hours while I dealt with that other 1/2 bottle of wine!

The meat was tender and moist. It was falling apart as I was pulling it out of the pot. I continued to reduce the liquid in the pot and then added a slurry of water/flour to thicken.

served over egg noodles (sorry glowin!).

Best part if this is that the meat was perhaps the cheapest cut of meat one can buy. The whole meal (enough for 6 portions easy) came to about $12 (or about $2 per portion).

Cooked at home, had fun, and saved money! Does not get better than that!

IMG_20151129_104407_537.jpg

IMG_20151129_104616_066.jpg

IMG_20151129_104920_280.jpg

Okay, so I don't have a good football team to root for this year. But I can pretend to support them by eating the local fare. Cheesesteak with onions, green and red peppers, diced jalapenos. Yes, there is some ketchup, Heinz of course, and that is the way I support the "other" PA team. Cheesesteak is dominate, ketchup is submissive, the way it should be....I work with a bunch of Steelers fans, so I gotta get my digs in where I can. Would have rather had some steak sauce, but fresh out and not enough time to make a batch.

12-01-2015_dinner.jpg

Tonight I made lamb shoulder chops. My local organic grocer often carries these that are just off of the ribcage, into the shoulder, so they are practically rib chops. Well, tonight they were on sale for only $5.99/lb, which is a steal.

I decided to use a spice profile mostly from the Maghreb, but decided to not make it totally North African. I used mostly coriander/cardamom/fennel, but brought the European side of the Mediterranean in with some thyme and rosemary. Of course garlic/salt/pepper, etc., too. All this was broiled to delicious crispness outside, med. rare inside. I made up a mushroom sauce to go with it that was sliced crimini 'shrooms in butter, more of the Maghreb spices for flavor, flour to thicken, and white wine and sherry to saucify it. The starch was polenta with almost every dairy product known to man added to make it super rich. (Butter, cream, milk, cheese, creme fraiche, and sour cream.) Veg was collard greens sauteed with onions, and garlic, then braised in chicken broth and sherry until tender. A nice, round, simple Merlot to wash it down. Very satisfying!

No sous vide?

Speaking of...my SV unit arrives tomorrow - got a simple steak/chicken recipe that can be finished on the grill?

No sous vide?

Speaking of...my SV unit arrives tomorrow - got a simple steak/chicken recipe that can be finished on the grill?

Yum! Glad to hear the unit will arrive soon!

Thinking of steak here: I like just garlic powder and thyme on the meat during SV. Add salt and pepper afterwards. Depending on how you like your meat, cook SV at 124 to 131. I don't think I have ever finished on the grill. I finish on a smoking hot cast-iron pan. It works better if you dry the meat off with a paper towel first. If finishing on the grill, I would have a screaming hot fire going, and sear for less than a minute per side. Broiling also works, but not quite as well. (You are in danger of overcooking the whole thing with broiling.) I use a propane torch for "touch-up" searing, but, honestly, this does not work all that well; you tend to burn off the spices and get little burnt specks, but not nicely browned meat.

You can save the meat juices from the plastic bag to go into a pan reduction sauce.

Good luck, and take pictures!

Friday, stromboli day! Had pizza too, no pictures, friend of my youngest daughter over for a sleep over (she and I share the same bday, go figure), so nothing left (yea). Youngest daughter also waited the extra 1/2 hour for the stromboli!

Didn't necessarily pair it with a wine but was drinking a 2012 337 Cab Sauv (on sale, 4 bucks off).

12-04-2015_boli.jpg

Costco has the seasonal Chanterelle mushrooms in stock!!!!!!!!!! :db

o.jpg

Back