What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main event from last nights Christmas feast! Did a reverse sear. Slathered in softened Irish butter then lots herbs de Provence, S&P. Into the oven at 200F for 4 hours and pulled out and tented for 30 mins to rest, then back in the oven for 10 mins at 500F to sear. Served with roasted fingerling potatoes, fresh green bean casserole with chanterelle mushrooms, sweet potatos, fresh cranberry sauce. Fantastic meal!

BTW, that looks perfectly done, especially for a big piece o' beef like that. I'm giving you a golf clap, you just can't hear it from your place.

We feasted last night, and yesterday. Started out at MIL's with Ina Garten's lasagna. If you've never had this, google it and try it. I've been enjoying it for years and almost can't eat any other lasagna. Several different cheeses, including goat cheese, which gives it a wonderful, creamy tanginess. Sausage, and a ton of basil. Great stuff. At Mom and Dad's, one of my sisters put together a great charcuterie platter, and we also had a few other apps. My dad absolutely nailed a tenderloin on the grill. Cooked it perfectly all the way through - perfect medium on the ends and med-rare in the middle.

Just back from a grocery run and Giant has NY Strip loin roasts for $4.99/lb. I grabbed one and will be cutting it into steaks shortly, then shrink wrapping individual steaks with the Foodsaver for future use. I love this time of year. Will probably go back for a rib roast later and do the same for some ribeyes.

Clouds went away and the temperature went up (above 60*F), so I knew I wanted to grill, just didn't realize I still had some charcoal left in the bag, so did some burgers on the Smokey Joe. Topped with bacon and sharp cheddar cheese, yummers. Served with a cold beer (burrrrrp).

12-27-16_burgers.jpg

so,

Made chicken parm again on Friday (12/23).

Had 10 people to feed on 12/24, so I did some serious cooking..

Prime rib: cooked to 113 degrees, then covered with tin foil, then towels to trap heat. Let rest for 1 hour and internal temp was 130. Slightly over done, but still nice.

Made yorkshire pudding, roasted potatoes, glazed carrots, porcini mushroom au jus, sautéed mushrooms, and parmesan crusted brussel sprouts to go with it. I made up 2 pumpkin pies and 1 "no sugar added" apple pie for dessert.

On Christmas day, it was stuffed turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet corn, and green bean casserole.

I gave myself a break on 12/26. We went out with some friends to this really nice high-end northern Italian restaurant. I had fried calamari, bolognese sauce over house made fettuccine, then a chocolate lava cake with vanilla gelato for desert.

Yesterday, I noticed just how JAM PACKED my fridge was. so it was "day after" turkey sandwiches and my home made turkey soup for dinner. yum.

Sorry, no pictures. I did all of the cooking and had very little help. No time to click a pic, so you will simply need to trust me.

Honey-garlic shrimp with stir fried veg and soba noodles.

honey-garlic-shrimp-skillet-4.jpg

I have done it...it's alive!

Ever since my youngest Son has been diagnosed with Celiac, we've been looking for a stromboli alternative, but we couldn't find a GF dough that you could work with to complete the stromboli. By accident my wife picked up a GF cinnamon roll/bread mix called Chēbē, and he loved it, plus it was like a soft regular dough, not real sticky and held together pretty well.

So I was drinking one night (very rare) and started searching the fountain of truth (the internet) and found that the company makes several other products, one that includes a pizza dough. So tonight I attempted two stromboli, one GF and one regular. This had been one of the few meals we all ate without a hot dog on the side or some other aberration.

Hey Mikey, he liked it!!! Woo-f'n-hoo!

Plus at 9.3 grams of carbs per ounce of boli, he was able to have some GF pudding and a glass of milk to round out his meal! He's happy, so I'm happy. My day has been a success, and lately that has been rare.

@Kraffty - @Boatboy24 's picture is from an online cookbook. He hates showing up the author of the recipe so he just posts their picture.

12-29-16_gf-boli.jpg

12-29-16-boli.jpg

Last edited:
The beginnings of a big batch of meatballs. Cooked up some sausage as well (and some goes into my meatball mix). All is simmering in a big pot now full of my homemade sauce. Dinner soon…

IMG_4876.jpg

The beginnings of a big batch of meatballs. Cooked up some sausage as well (and some goes into my meatball mix). All is simmering in a big pot now full of my homemade sauce. Dinner soon…

I was worried you were on the "Rocky" diet with those raw eggs and the raw meat.

Always in the mood to use leftovers and not pitch them, I came up with the brilliant idea to make a ham and pineapple pizza for dinner tonight. The ham is entering the stage of becoming trash can fodder, but I figured it's salted and smoked, it's good for 5 or 6 days in the fridge. Hand made crust as always, canned sauce though, ran out of my frozen sauce I made last summer, I'm very sad I didn't make more...:slp

12-30-16_zah.jpg

Slow roasted pork ribs, streamed brown rice with herbs, and 4 bean salad for supper. Freshly brewed coffee and homemade gingerbread cookies for dessert.

Well, everything pretty much...LOL

Pork, yellow rice, black rice, different types of salad including potatoes salad, ripen plantain, Cuban "ropa vieja", and I forgot a few dishes because I'm drinking too much "caipirinha" [emoji4]

ImageUploadedByWine Making1483242603.954494.jpg

Thanks Greg,

If anyone is interested I mostly followed the recipe I found from the Food Network and tweaked it to my liking.

Black-Eyed Peas with Bacon and Pork :sm

I was surprised when I clicked on the link and it wasn't an Emeril Lagasse recipe, that seems right up his alley. IT DOES LOOK GOOD though, making me hungry!

Latest posts

Back