What is Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SB Ranch

Reaction score
I bring this discussion up because I was "corrected" by a winery last week when talking about fruit wines. I realize everyone has an opinion but I'm a guy that likes facts. So I went looking on the Internet for the answer.
Definition

In short the original term"wine" refers to grapes. So historically and legally they are correct.
"Although other fruits like apples and berries can also be fermented, the resultant "wines" are normally named after the fruit from which they are produced (for example, apple wine or elderberry wine) and are generically known as fruit or country wine."

"Fruit wines are always called something wines (e.g., plum wine), since the word wine alone is often legally defined as a beverage made only from grapes."

Fruit Wine

I'm sure this was a no-bainer for the rest of you...Edited by: SBRanch

But do we really just call grape wine "wine." I call mine Chardonnay wine, etc. Personally, I think grape winemakers want to believe there's a huge difference when they are actually missing out on a whole wide world of wine. I love my grape wines, but am equally fond of all my other wines. Country wines are actually more difficult to make, as the fruits used have less complexity than grapes. Thus, more winemaking skill is required. Edited by: dfwwino

Unless the winery you visited was in <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">France</st1:place></st1:country-region>, I would say that they may have been historically correct but they were not legally correct. Title 26 section 5381 of the United States Code offers this definition:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

“Natural wine is the product of the juice or must of sound, ripe grapes or other sound, ripe fruit, made with such cellar treatment as may be authorized under section 5382 and containing not more than 21 percent by weight of total solids. Any wine conforming to such definition except for having become substandard by reason of its condition shall be deemed not to be natural wine, unless the condition is cor&shy;rected.”

Further, Section 117(a) of the Federal Alcohol Administration Act (27 U.S.C. 211(a)) defines "wine" as:

(a) Wine as defined in section 610 and section 617 of the Revenue Act of 1918 (26 U.S.C. 5381 - 5392), as now in force or hereafter amended, and

(b) Other alcoholic beverages not so defined, but made in the manner of wine, including sparkling and carbonated wine, wine made from condensed grape must, wine made from other agricultural products than the juice of sound, ripe grapes, imitation wine, compounds sold as wine, vermouth, cider, perry, and sake; in each instance, only if containing not less than 7 percent and not more than 24 percent of alcohol by volume, and if for nonindustrial use.

Based on these definitions if you fermented grapes, fruit, vegetable, grain or flowers to at least 7% and not more than 24% alcohol by volume you legally made wine.

The Cabernet Sauvignon I had last night is named after the fruit and not just labeled “wine”. Reading the label on the back this “wine” aspires to taste like blackberries, cherries and raspberries, not to taste like grapes. My imported bottle of <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Bordeaux</st1:City></st1:place> was actually made in the country rather than the city. Would in not be properly a “country wine” or perhaps “another country wine”?

My humble opinion, presented for your amusement and entertainment.

Latest posts

Back