What is this disease on the shoots?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 36973

owner, winemaker
Reaction score
I'm wondering if someone out there with an experienced eye can help identify what the disease is causing the lesions on these vine shoots. This is a "Sheridan" grapevine (labrusca) that seems to be sensitive to a wide variety of diseases throughout the season. The photo is from early Sept. Apologies for it being out of focus (thanks, phone auto-focus). I've subsequently noticed some downy mildew affecting the leaves. Earlier in the season, I had successfully controlled anthracnose, blackrot, and downy that typically like to attack these vines. I'm figuring this issue stemmed from a mistimed late-summer spray.

sheridan_lesion.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. I neglected to mention that this is in Indiana. The pictures I've googled about PD don't look like the issues I'm seeing on the leaves. Classic downy this year. Plus I think we are much further north than where PD seems to impact since I believe the glassy winged sharpshooters don't come this far north.

I'm suspecting it is late season blackrot, anthracnose or something else. This is well past veraison.

Back