What happens when you drink wine that is still fermenting?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I thought I was the only one having drinks today. Everyone is in the Halloween spirit it seems.

To answer the question.

It is perfectly alright to drink fermenting wine. A lot of wine producing nations look forward to doing exactly that.

In fact, I know that in Germany, Swizerland, and Austria, they make a point to serve "still fermenting" wine in restaurants. You can even buy it in the grocery stores. It is one of those things that these folks look forward to and can only get in late september / early october.

In Austria, it is called Sturm (or storm in english), in Germany it is called Featerwiess [sic], and in Swizerland, it is called Sousa [sic].

I had a chance to sample sturm in Vienna last year. It was GREAT!!! it had about the same alcohol as a beer, it was sweet, and very warming. The perfect drink for a chilly fall day!

I vowed to try and make it. This year, I waited until the wine had about 3.5% alcohol and then filled a corneliuos keg with the fermenting wine. I sealed the keg and then placed it into my beer kegerator to chill to 33 degrees. This was around 10/6/2010.

I had tried it this weekend with my European friends. I have to say that it ended up exactly as I remembered in Austria. I wish I had made more!!!

Your stomach acids will almost immediatly kill the yeast. Any "Gas" you have will come from the carbonation of the wine or the sugar that is consumed in your digestive tract.

Also, there actual nutritional benefits. The yeast, for example, is loaded with B complex.

So go ahead and try it. Chilled down, it tastes even better!

Latest posts

Back