RJ Spagnols Weak Taste! Still early...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to wine making. I started a Grand Cru International Washington Merlot 5 week kit on May 18. I followed the instructions carefully.

Its day 21 now and I finished racking and stabilizing a few days ago since SG was 0.966.

I tasted the wine yesterday and while it appeared nice and clear, smelled great, it tasted very light and unsatisfying :s

I know that patience is everything in this craft. Will my wine improve to something decent? Should I consider adding acid blend to perk up the taste?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to wine making. I started a Grand Cru International Washington Merlot 5 week kit on May 18. I followed the instructions carefully.

Its day 21 now and I finished racking and stabilizing a few days ago since SG was 0.966.

I tasted the wine yesterday and while it appeared nice and clear, smelled great, it tasted very light and unsatisfying :s

I know that patience is everything in this craft. Will my wine improve to something decent? Should I consider adding acid blend to perk up the taste?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Welcome to the forum Thomas!
Your kit is a 5 week kit but that really does not mean it's ready to consume at 5 weeks. you are at 21 days on a Merlot. In my opinion, it should be ready to bottle say in about 49 more weeks. You simply cannot judge a red wine in only 3 weeks. Give it another 6 months and if you feel its lacking, a little tartaric acid could brighten it up some.

Welcome to the forum!

I've started to use the following formula for my kits... 4-week kit when it says to bottle - bulk age 2 months and bottle age 2 months. 6-week kit when it says to bottle - bulk age 3 months and bottle age 2 months. For a 5-week kit like yours I would do 2 1/2 and 2 1/2.

Just give it time, as others have said. It may be ready to bottle, but it does not mean it is ready to drink. Also, do not add any acid to your wine. It should undergo changes over time, and your perception of the acidity can change.

Latest posts

Back