WE Shiraz - 28 days in

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesGrape

Reaction score
E6D3740A-E7F4-4297-9909-962E813B655E.jpeg Here are pics of my WE Shiraz after 28 days. SG started at 1.097 and fermented to O.992 as directions indicated. The wine shows no sign of clearing, and I think I failed to degas adequately. I power stirred for 2 minutes each time as directions called for - but I read elsewhere 41D6E13B-24EA-4674-ACEE-5F1DBA8DE170.jpeg later that this can be woefully inadequate - as much as 30 minutes can be needed. I moved the carboy into my 55F degree cellar and then noticed the outgassing when I found the silicone bung on the floor. I replaced the solid bung with an airlock.

I have over an inch of sediment showing on the bottom of the carboy. The airlock releases a bubble about every 15 seconds.

I could rack again now, but think I will just wait until the airlock shows no activity, then rack off the sediment, and continue to wait for the wine to clear. Any advice or comments appreciated. TIA.

Last edited:
View attachment 47376 I power stirred for 2 minutes each time as directions called for - but I read elsewhere later that this can be woefully inadequate - as much as 30 minutes can be needed.

Any advice or comments appreciated. TIA.

I think it is fair to say that many of us (certainly me) went through these steps of thinking. Many of us (including me) have eventually concluded that what is needed is not 2 minutes or 30 minutes of stirring, but rather 6 or 8 mos. of sitting under airlock. Warmer temps and vacuum racking/degassing can help.

Thanks S.G. Do you have a test that you perform to know that your wine is fully degassed? Or do you just know that 6-8 months is plenty of time?

Back