Visiting Wine Country

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Columbia Valley is Napa circa 1975. Depending on where and when you visit your pourer could be the winemaker. Even Gorman Winery which is probably the hottest Winery these days is run by just 3 people and one of them is Chris Gorman the winemaker. I called Saviah Cellars last year to place an order and got Richard Funk, the winemaker on his cell phone of all things while he was driving. He pulled over, took my order, and thanked me profusely. 4 days later my wine arrived with a short note of thanks signed personally by the winemaker. These guys really appreciate your business. Most of them are all small family run with the exception of course of Columbia Crest and Chateau St. Michelle etc.

Wife and I have toured California wineries for about 5 years. We are ready to branch out a little. Washington and Oregon are our next goals.

In a couple years we want to retire near Santa Rosa, California, if at all possible. (Maybe, maybe not.)
From there we can reach Oregon and Washington easily by car.

Six years ago when we moved to Oregon, we did not realize how many wineries there are within a 20 mile radius of our house. There are about 12 that I can think of off the top of my head. Most are open on weekends, some every day and the others only on Thanksgiving and Memorial Day weekends. We live about 18 miles outside of Eugene. This is the Southern Willamette Valley AVA. I pinned several of our favorite wineries on the Winemaking Talk map.

In California I have been going south towards Paso Robles and Solvang. I have been enjoyed most of the wineries for the most part. Not sure how many wineries are around Paso Robles but you could spend many days there and probably not visit them all. Solvang has 10+ wine tasting shops downtown. If you got a hotel you could walk to them all quite easily and not have to worry about driving.
In Washington state the wife and I like to go to Whidbey Island and check out the wineries on the Island. Have had many decent wines and a wide variety as well. Personally Whidbey Island winery is one of our favorites. The wine makers are always the ones who pour at the tasting table, and seem to always have time to chat. Look forward to going back soon.

Yeats ago when I lived in LA. I had a great weekend in the Santa Ynez Valley around Santa Barbera. Nice wines and nice people. Off the beaten or off the weekend seems to be the winning formula!

Latest posts

Back