UPDATE: "When Life Gives You Durian" - 2 Years Later!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayberry

Reaction score
I promised an update, so here it is, exactly two years from brew day. I netted a single bottle out of this test batch, due to the amount of gunk involved in brewing this durian wine monstrosity.

Tasting notes (keep in mind that I am not a professional sommelier)...

Upon uncorking: Smelled sweet like Welch's grape juice. Smells very much like a sherry wine after a minute or so, not a whole lot of durian aroma at first. It almost has a bit of a brandy aroma but not in a liquor sort of way, just that warm, rich, nutty sort of smell.

Pour: Smells a trifle hot in the glass has a bit of a sour aroma. There's a little bit of the durian in there -- when it's jostled you can smell it more. The slightly pungent smell that a lot of people associate with durian starts to come out as the wine aerates. It reminds me of the smell of durian street snacks in Thailand, like that weird ice dessert stuff they have that's probably not made with the best durian. It starts to develop a little bit of a banana pudding smell as it breathes.

Taste: Retained a bit of sweetness. I would call it an off-dry. Not an overwhelming flavor going on. Mostly tastes like a cheap, dry cooking wine. There's a little bit of that champagne funk going on.

Exhale: You can taste the durian whenever you breathe out. There's a bit of the sting still tingling the tongue, probably from being a little young yet. Sort of feels like a cloying sensation that coats the inside of your mouth after a couple of sips. This is either an unpleasant wine or acquired taste. I like the flavor of fresh durian but I don't like this.

2/10 -- Would not brew again. Photos below.

0AhQfwJ.jpg

b9Spw2h.jpg

MEKISj0.jpg

okHaK7A.jpg

Thanks for the update! I would have never thought to make wine from durian :)

Latest posts

Back