Two shoot single cluster vs, single shoot two clusters?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
59EC500E-FED3-4D33-89E6-7F90044F5EC1.jpeg I absolutely subscribe to the saying “you can make bad wine from good grapes, but you cannot make good wine from bad grapes”. This year I want to make the absolute best barrel of Cabernet Franc that I can. The vineyard has a history of offering a premium single shoot pruning (head trained vines). I requested the same pricing as single shoot, single cluster, but I want all the fruit thinned, leaving only a single cluster per shoot. I feel the plant’s energy would be better focused on a single cluster per shoot.

What I heard was that the plant will throw a lot more foliage with the reduction in fruit. I’m willing to take that trade off.

Anyone have experience in this area?

I don't know that there is any advantage to reducing the yield on the fruit quality. Certainly if it is overcropped, it would negatively affect ripening, but if the vine is already balanced, all you are doing is throwing away good fruit by thinning. A three-year study by Rutgers university shows there is little benefit from cluster thinning Cab Franc in terms of sugar, acid and wine quality.

Cluster thinning effects on Crop Yield and Quality for Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc

Latest posts

Back