WineXpert Tweaking kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have increased the ABV by adding 5 pounds of sugar to the White Zin Island Mist kit. (Thank you Masta!) The alchohol content was around 13% and it was sweet. The wife likes it alot. It will void the warranty so if you decide to try this be sure to view it as an experiment that could potentially go wrong. Only do it if you are willing to accept whatever you get. (Could be Good
smiley20.gif
Could be bad
smiley21.gif
) ONLY DO THIS WITH ISLAND MIST KITS. DISLOVE THE SUGAR IN BOILING WATER, LET COOL TO ROOM TEMPERATURE. ADD TO PRIMARY WHEN YOU START. FOLLOW ALL THE DIRECTIONS FROM THERE. BOTTLE AND ENJOY!

The next time I do this I think I am going to add only 1/2 the F-Pack in order to make it a little less sweet.

Most of all, learn and have fun and ask lots of questions.

I need some help with a kit batch I've started. It is an Island Mist Peach-Apricot. When I poured it out of the bag, I noticed that it didn't smell very good. Not really bad - not rank or sour, but it sure wasn't peachy, etc. I have followed the instructions exactly, and the SG was right on the money on day #7, so I racked it to the carboy. The little yeasties are real active and the airlock is perking away - but it still doesn't smell good. Not fruity nor winey, etc. How do I know what to look for - or smell for? Has anyone made this kit? Obviously, it hasn't be working long enough for the F-pack to be added. Will that make a difference in this issue?

The peachy flavor will come from the F-pack. As to not smelling good, that is baffling. Did you taste the juice. Give me a call at the store tomorrow and we will try to determine if you have a problem kit or not. The Peach-Apricot is a big seller and I have yet to have a complaint, but there is always a first.

Just wanted to let you know, I tweaked a Green Apple Riesling and I thought it smelled funny too when I did it (tasted sweet out of the bag, had an oder both in the primary and during secondary). Don't know if it was from the extra sugar or perhaps a high fermemting temp (room was ~72) or what. Of the 5 or so batches I've done in the last few months, this is the one my wife complained about.After Ibottled it, it seems to have affected the time-space continum becausenow I have less than half of it still around and I can't figure for the life of me where the other half went
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back