Topping off, what does it really do??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
So when a kit calls for you to top off the carboy, is this to prevent the wine from being in contact with O2???

As a beer brewer, every time I rack or keg a beer, I blow a little bit of co2 into the bottom of the carboy. Thsi does 2 things. It prevents the beer from splashing around with oxygen while racking, and also when you are done racking, provides a nice blanket of c02 on top of the beer when done....

Can this same technique be done with wine, or is there another reason why you top off with water or a similar wine??

Thanks

Yes, if you have the means to fill the headspace with an inert gas, such as argon or carbon dioxide, it will serve the same purpose as topping up.

If you havealot of space in the carboy. I would suggest to buy one of the same variety. I know you have to buy one but don't go cheap. Remember, you will get 1 more bottle when bottling.

Fill the space using glass marbles that can be used over and over. Much cheaper than commercial wine. Many threads on this in the forum, just do a search.

I like to top off the wine with other wines. It can make the wines more complex. ie top cranberry off with raspberry. I use the topping off to change the direction of the flavor of thewine. I made a cranberry wine that has a strong bear flavor. It is OK but when I use it to top off a light to midbody wine it real sets it off.So I keep it just to top off with.

Warning: Most will tell you to top off with a like Wine!!!

Latest posts

Back