Too late for Reduless

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrStrangeLove

Reaction score
Hey folks..

A while back I ran into a problem with a bad rotten egg smell that everyone is all too familiar with. People suggested Reduless and I bought some and treated the wine. Perhaps I convinced myself that the treatment worked completely but now a few months later.. I can't help but notice that disgusting smell (and consequently taste) is still there. My wine is about 6 months old now, it's crystal clear, and I'm wondering if its too late to retreat it with Reduless. Some information I read on this problem stated that after a while the H2S forms some other compounds which are nearly impossible to remove. Also, I was wondering if I should try the copper wire trick on a glass of the wine to see what happens with the smell too.

So is there some deterministic time table that says at this point its too late to treat it again?

Hey folks..

A while back I ran into a problem with a bad rotten egg smell that everyone is all too familiar with. People suggested Reduless and I bought some and treated the wine. Perhaps I convinced myself that the treatment worked completely but now a few months later.. I can't help but notice that disgusting smell (and consequently taste) is still there. My wine is about 6 months old now, it's crystal clear, and I'm wondering if its too late to retreat it with Reduless. Some information I read on this problem stated that after a while the H2S forms some other compounds which are nearly impossible to remove. Also, I was wondering if I should try the copper wire trick on a glass of the wine to see what happens with the smell too.

So is there some deterministic time table that says at this point its too late to treat it again?

Can’t say if it’s too late or not, but you should try. Copper and wine don’t mix, as you can’t control the dosage, which is why we use Reduless, controlled dosage.

Hey @cmason1957 -- Thanks.. yeah I will try the copper wire thing and see what happens to a glass of the wine. If it removes the smell then maybe I'll do another treatment. We spoke in the past about this very issue. I thought I solved it but turns out not to be the case. Disappointing of course. I read that mercaptans don't smell so much like rotten eggs as it does cabbage or rubber or garlic --- maybe it's not too late.

It isn't too late. Go buy 1% copper sulfate and carefully follow the dosing instructions. This way you can treat the H2S with measured amounts of copper.

Don't use pennies, wire or pieces of copper because you can't reliably control how much gets into your wine. Too much dissolved copper will make you sick.

Back