Time to give up on my chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffZ

Junior
Reaction score
After i bottled my chardonnay a few weeks ago, i noticed crystals forming.
Thanks to this wonderful forum, I learned that they were tartrate crystals - nothing to be concerned about. I was guided to empty the bottles back into the carboy and let the crystals settle out and re-bottle.

It's now been 2 weeks and a new almost mold like substance formed on the surface. Not at the bottom where the crystals formed. Because I left about a litre of empty space in the carboy - does this mean the wine picked up something. Can it possibly be new tartrate crystals still forming.

This time it looks like something weird happened or too much oxygen has ruined it. There are about 30 little globules of what looks like a mold floating at the top. Any hope - or just dump it? Thanks.

My first thought is to get the Bactria out and Sulfite the remaining. if it's 6 gallons go ahead and add another 1/4 tsp let it sit for a week or so and re bottle it. That's what I would do.

Yup,

You should never leave that much head space when storing still wine. As Shoe said, I would do a racking, leave behind the scum, add a generous dose of k-meta, then top off with a similar store bought wine.

Latest posts

Back