WineXpert Time or SG more important when stabilising?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrapeApe

Reaction score
I have an OregonYamhill County Pinot Noir in the secondary. It's been there for 8 days and I'm already getting consistent SG readings. Yesterday and today's reading are .994 @ 70*. Does it need to sit for 2 more days before stabilising or can it (should it?) be stabilised now?

Thanks!

GrapeApe

I would give it until tomorrow and if you get the same reading then you can go ahead and stabilize it.

It is best to wait the 10 days after transferring into the secondary since this will help the degassing stage ( if the fermentation is complete the wine will start to degas somewhat on it's own). The SG check is most important to confirm the wine has completely fermented and didn't stop prematurely. Rushing into step 3 will only cause you grief!

Things that cause some kits to proceed faster that others are temperature and nutrients in juice such as top end kitsand those with grape skins.Edited by: masta

My advice is to never proceed with a step until the minimum number of days has passed. There are reasons why the instructions are the way they are. Follow them and you will create a good wine.

Latest posts

Back