Thoughts on making wine room

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_M

All things wine!
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I am underway on my first go at wine making. Posted in Beginners forum already.
Just a little background I have a 5 gallon carboy of Montepulciano and two 5 gallon carboys with Cabernet Sauvignon going. Began the process on 10/4//14, have 2nd racking done as well.
Anyway onto this post. I have attached a few pictures of a small room in our basement (above ground) that would be an ideal spot for wine storing.
Small room approximately 5 1/2' by 5 1/2' by 7' h.
I would say that the temp in Summer may get into the 70's and winter I could see it into the 50's Humidity my be a bit on the high side, 60% or more in Summer?
Open to any and all ideas tips, tricks.

Thanks,

Steve_M

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

adding some insulation around the window to keep it cooler and darker in the summer, otherwise looks good. a nice piece of counter top to set things on and cover the celing to keep stuff from falling would be good too.

could also add a flat screen TV, recliner, and a snack bar.:h

Last edited:
I would advise to get a length of carpet or cardboard so that your carboys are not sitting directly in stone or concrete. I would also strongly advise that you get those long steel pipeclamps out of there. They are just begging to be knocked over and smash a carboy.

I would begin by building some proper shelving.

Insulate, insulate, insulate.

And did I mention insulate?

Looks good, you will wish it were bigger soon. It always happens. Try and button it up as best as possible so as to mitigate daily temp swings.

Looks pretty good to start with though.

I would advise to get a length of carpet or cardboard so that your carboys are not sitting directly in stone or concrete. I would also strongly advise that you get those long steel pipeclamps out of there. They are just begging to be knocked over and smash a carboy.

I would begin by building some proper shelving.

Jeez your right looking at that picture again I see Murphy lurking.
Thanks for the tip regarding carpeting as well.

adding some insulation around the window to keep it cooler and darker in the summer, otherwise looks good. a nice piece of counter top to set things on and cover the celing to keep stuff from falling would be good too.

could also add a flat screen TV, recliner, and a snack bar.:h

Worlds smallest man cave!

Steve_M

Insulate, insulate, insulate.

And did I mention insulate?

Looks good, you will wish it were bigger soon. It always happens. Try and button it up as best as possible so as to mitigate daily temp swings.

Looks pretty good to start with though.

Mike,
I am planning on adding insulation, still on fence as to how to go about it. I am either going to frame it out or just add rigid board insulation. The floor is what I am not sure how to deal with.

Steve_M

Just remember concrete is not very forgiving to glass carboys or wine bottles. I have been wanting to tile my winery/cellar for years and have yet to do it as I have had countless times that carboys slipped and hit the (carpeted) floor pretty hard and even wine bottles slip and fall to the floor out of the wine racks….. If you go tile you should think about some of those interlocking rubber squares they sell for weight rooms etc.

Mike,
You make a good point on floor being a hard surface. Right now, the floor is dirt not concrete, so my options are still open. I don't think i will take the trouble to slab it over, but will lay a wood floor underlayment, then either tile, or cover in adhesive tiles. Finally lay the rubber pad down.

Thanks,

Steve

Kraffty,
Both actually, my plan would be to have racks on left and right walls and either low on back or high with counter top on rear wall. Room is small, but I think I could get quite a bit of rack space out of it and still allow me to store carboy for long term.

Steve

Latest posts

Back