Think MLF is complete

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I pitched the MLF culture 4 weeks ago, but just now got the test....It looks complete to me. Kinda hard to see on the picture but just want some opinions....
I never saw any real activity, only slight bubbles which to me looked like it could be small amounts of CO2 bubbling off. The wine was a Cab Sav and I pitched Endoferm Alpha from MoreWine
Do you guys normally test it before you start MLF to get an idea of where it statred???? This is my first stab at frozen grapes....
Thx

Malic acid.jpg

It looks complete to me, lactic acid is high, Malic and Tartaric acid are low
I've never tested prior to adding MLB.

It looks to me like there is still a lot of Malic in there because the dot for the M is over half way up the sheet. Is the sheet dry?

Grapeman, wouldn't the dot over the m be in the same place no matter what the malic acid level in the wine. The m is where I placed the dot of malic acid..
Not really sure though.

It looks pretty done to me. But is there a spot just below the lactic acid spot on your wine sample or is it just a bit of streaking?

To me it just looked like the tail end if the lactic acid spot. There is no break in between.

It should bubble but it may be very slow. If it is still going you should see some tiny bubbles in the neck of your carboy.

To me it just looked like the tail end if the lactic acid spot. There is no break in between.

I dunno, it is inconclusive to me, but my eyes aren't great with blurry things. It looks like there is both lactic and malic to me, but like you say they run together. If it was done, I don't think you would see a spot- runny or not at the malic location.

If I get results like this, I run another test in a few days to be sure.

See the following link and reference the third example where it is halfway through mlf and both spots show, although faintly, similar to what you get.
http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/MT930.pdf

Yours is hard to read in the picture but probably looks clearer in person.

Latest posts

Back