Thermostat to modify fridge

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n5odj

Junior
Reaction score
First off, I'm not affiliated with this company. I can't dig in the ground since I currently rent & I don't want to spend the $$$$ for a storebought wine storage. Found this product, which is a replacement thermostat for a refrigerator for storing wine. Actually, I think you set the fridge on the coolest setting & then let this thing do it's job to turn thenfridge on & off, maintaining proper temp. Will have to read the directions to make sure.

[url]http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/site_search.aspx?Sea rchStr=thermostat[/url]

Anyway, I ordered the digital one because I guess I have money burning a hole in my pocket. Now gotta find a fridge. I'll also set a block of closed cell foam with propylene glycol/water in orider to maintain correct humidity. This is the stuff used in cigar humidors to maintain 70% humidity, but that can be adjusted by varying the amount of prop.glycol.

Robert in Erwin, TN

Sounds like this will work fine for setting up a fridge for wine storage. The constant temp is the best forlong term storage but I think the humidity is not as critical. I don't do anything extra to keep my wine cellar's humidity level up near 70% and it drops over the winter as the air in the adjacent room (rest of my basement) drys out. I have not noticed any issues with the corks drying out.

did it work okay? Could a person just take off the cold are panel, flapper, and cover the hole with duck tape and set the fridge to the warmest setting? That is what we are going to do with an old fridge. kathy

I actually have two of these. I useboth on a 20cubic foot freezer. The freezer (on the lowest setting)is plugged into oneand an 80W reptile heating lamp (clipped to a shelf inside) is plugged into the other. The freezer is set on 57 +/- 1 and cools when the temp hits 58. The heater is set on 55 +/- 1 and heats when the temp hits 54. I have a small bowl of water in there for humidity.

I had originally planned on using only one and switching it between the lamp and the freezer during the year as needed but the spring and fall temps can vary greatly from the 50's to the 70's during the day/nite cycle so I got another and set it up. During the winter the 80w lamp was only able to heat it about 20 degs but since we don't have too many freezing days here I think it will be fine. I am certain the freezer will be able to handle the summer temps since it has for the past few years.

Back