Sweetened too soon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I left it with an airlock on until it was free of gas and sediment. Bottled basically so I could try another batch.

Be sure you have an airlock on it--you'd be surprised how much CO2 is still in the wine. We have some wines that are still in the carboy and they are 3 years old--and even those carboys,after all this time, blow out their solid bungs. Put some meta water in the airlock--this helps keep bacterial growth down. Check it every few months to be sure it still has enough fluid in it. If you keep the cap on the airlock, this cuts down on evaporation.

Be sure you have an airlock on it--you'd be surprised how much CO2 is still in the wine. We have some wines that are still in the carboy and they are 3 years old--and even those carboys,after all this time, blow out their solid bungs. Put some meta water in the airlock--this helps keep bacterial growth down. Check it every few months to be sure it still has enough fluid in it. If you keep the cap on the airlock, this cuts down on evaporation.

Thank you! Will do! ... Of course I have to go get another airlock, because I think wine making had quickly become an obsession. Wine for all gifts next season!

Ohhh--- this is only the beginning! I'll bet we have 100 airlocks, at this time.

Back