Sulfiting while aging a Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bendbiker

Junior
Reaction score
I make a lot of beer from all grains but just tried my first wine kit, a CC Syrah with grape pack.

I am extending the aging process and I just got a fridge off Craiglist, so I want to cold clear the wine at 4 Celsius while I'm on vacation this winter. How often do I have to add sulfite in the aging process?

It has been already one rack without it and about a month since I ran out of Kmeta.

Do I need to top up the Kmeta before my vacation?

Thanks for any help! ;)

It should be sulfited about every 4 months but immediately after fermentation is done.

OK great then I am ok till bottling. Thanks for the reply!

Can I get away without filtering the wine if I age/rack it enough and cold crash it at 4 degrees?

I havent filtered a wine with the exception of my peach in quite some time but I bulk age mine for at least 8 months to make sure nothing else is dropping out Do you really fell you need to almost freeze your wine? Thats just typically done to whites for higher acids to drop out. It really wont help it clear that much especially if there is any trapped C02 in your wine.

Yeah - cold stabilizing is mainly to drop out TA crystals in white wines. If you bulk age long enough your wine will clear on its own.

Yeah - cold stabilizing is mainly to drop out TA crystals in white wines. If you bulk age long enough your wine will clear on its own.

OK thanks again. So if my patience only lasts 4 months before bottling is that ok?

I know for beer a cold crash really helps precipitate the yeast out of solution. I guess I'll skip it for the red wines...

IMO - i would wait - it will only benefit the wine and also ensure that it is clear.

You can bottle whenever you want to - with that in mind - you will probably find sediment in your bottles, will have to bottle age.

That is why i would bulk age in the carboy - you can rack off the sediment - and when there is no more sediment dropping out - bottle it.

I also would wait 6-12 months before bottling

Latest posts

Back