Stuck Fermentaion - Nero D'Avola

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetpilot007

Reaction score
Good Morning. I purchased 2 cases of Nero D'Avola Grapes yesterday. At 36lb per case it should yield about 5 gallons. Here is the fact pattern:

1) Separated grapes from stems yesterday.
2) Placed crushed contents into primary fermentation tub.
3) Completion time was about 6:00pm
4) Placed one packet of Red Star Pasteur yeast into must
5) Temp in basement was 66 degrees
6) Brix was just about 20

This morning I noticed there was no fermentation. I suspect it is
due to cooler temperature. I then placed heater near the formation tub.
I also added 2 teaspoons of BSG Fermax Yeast Nutrient into the must.

The temperature of the basement is now about 68 and climbing. I realize that the ideal temperature range is between 70-75 degrees.

I will check the status of the must by 6pm this evening. Hence at that point the 24 hour mark will have been achieved.

At that point if nothing happens I am thinking about going back to my wine supplier and purchase a packet of yeast that is suitable for a cooler must.

The only yeast I have left at home is LALVIN EC-1118. I recognize that it is for Sparkling wines. Could I use this product to assist?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

It can take 48 hours for a kit to get going. At 66 degrees it can take a lot longer.

Did you sterilize the juice (k-meta for 24 hours) before pitching the yeast?

EC-1118 is a standard yeast for wine kits, and should work fine (at the proper temp). If you think the first yeast did not take, I would sterilize first, then pitch the EC-1118.

Last edited:
My wine supplier speculates the must temperature is less than ideal.

What if I placed an aquarium heater into the must?

It can take up to 72 hours for fermentation to start. If you have a heating pad you can use it to heat the wine up to about 72F. Once fermentation starts, the action of fermentation will heat the wine by itself.

Best bet is to order a Brew Belt from a wine supplier. It is a heated rubber belt that wraps around the fermentor and can be moved lower down on the fermentor to raise the heat or raised higher on the fermentor to lower the temperature.

EC-1118 is a good strong, general purpose yeast, which will ferment most anything containing sugar.

It can take up to 72 hours for fermentation to start. If you have a heating pad you can use it to heat the wine up to about 72F. Once fermentation starts, the action of fermentation will heat the wine by itself.

Best bet is to order a Brew Belt from a wine supplier. It is a heated rubber belt that wraps around the fermentor and can be moved lower down on the fermentor to raise the heat or raised higher on the fermentor to lower the temperature.

EC-1118 is a good strong, general purpose yeast, which will ferment most anything containing sugar.

Next year I will also purchase a heater belt for sure! Thanks for the tip!

Latest posts

Back