WineXpert Strange?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgecaprock

Reaction score
Good Sundaymorning everyone,

I started my 5th kit, WE Viognier ,yesterday at about 4:00. The must temp was about 77 degrees when I pitched the yeast. Then last night at about midnight the lock was bubbling and I heard it quite a few times until I fell asleep (I wasn't dreaming). Since waking up this morning it has not bubbled at all. None of my other kits started to ferment until at least 24 hrs. The fermometer says 74 degrees right now. The yeast is EC-1118. I was a little surprised at that
smiley3.gif
l

Ramona

Good Yeast and great technique I would assume....it is not unheard of for fermentation to start that quickly. How is is doing now?

Well, it's almost 5 pm here and it's just sitting there. Hopefully by later tonight or in the morning it will be bubbling againas it has in the past. Kind of caught me off guard when it started so soon.

Ramona

That is odd that it started and then stopped....you sure it wasn't another airlock your heard in a dream?
smiley2.gif

Ramona,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

My experience with the EC-1118 is that it was fast starting, generating about a half inch of foam on the surface and then quickly settling down with very little foaming. I would suggest you take a hydrometer reading today and again tomorrow to verify thatthe fermentation is progressing. It may be that with a loose fitting lid the CO2 is escaping between the bucket and lid rather than through the lock. However, if you do have a stuck fermentation, it is better to find out now.
Joseph

Joseph,

I Just took a reading and it was the same as yesterday but I do see movement in the must. My lid is tight too. If it does turn out to be stuck....what do I do?

RAMONA

Now, I don't know how this works with kit wines, but I know from my country wines, a little stirring goes a long way. Sometimes it jump starts the yeast that's just floating up at the top.

That would be my tip, but ask George about the warantee before you do so.

I agree with Martina, give it a good stir. It might have so much foam that it is acting like a fruit cap and disallowing O2. I have encountered this before with kits. Don't get discouraged.

Well, I worried all night about my wine, so much I couldn't sleep. Just laid there an listened for the airliock. So I just now switched the airlock. The other one seem a little less than tight in the gromet.....went back a few minutes later and it is starting to bubble. Lesson learned.....I think the co2 was escaping around the lock instead of through it. Now I can get through my work day!!!
smiley4.gif
Gotta go...Mondlay is here!!

Appreciate you guys and Martina!!!!

Latest posts

Back