Stopping fermentation early

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&GB

Reaction score
I'm cold fermenting a Wine Expert Selection Original Series Viognier and I'm considering trying to stop fermentation a bit early to produce an off-dry wine. I get the impression this is more difficult than simply fermenting to dry and then adding sugar after stabalization. My plan is to rack at about 2% residual sugar, stir in meta and sorbate, then place the carboy out in the cold (around 50 degrees). Any advice?

I forgot to mention that the kit instructions seem to indicate that if I don't ferment all the way to .998 SG I might have problems clarifying the wine.

This might work out for you if the outside temps are cold enough. You could also try setting it in the cold close to freezing to try to halt the yeast, then add the k-Meta and Sorbate. It might also cause problems clearing the wine if you racked off the sediment, since it is needed to be stirred back in for proper clarification. Your safest bet would be to let it go dry, add k-meta snd sorbate after stirring and degassing. Let it clear and rack, then sweeten to taste. The alcohol will be just a bit higher, but you will have more control over the other variables.

To save yourself more work and possible problems I would suggest to complete the batch as per the instructions and then back sweeten to taste.

I haven't back sweetened any kits with added sugar but based on the numbers: The amount of sorbate included in the kit (5.5 grams) is less than the standard dosing amount of 1/2 tsp or 1.25 grams per gallon to prevent re-fermentation after adding more sugar. The amount needed would be 3 tsp/7.5 grams or a bit less than 1 tsp in addition to the 5.5 grams included in the kit.Edited by: masta

What I did to a Pommagrannate grape raspberry was let fermint to 1010 killed fermintation with K-meta & Pot. sorbate, then add 1/2 cup of sugar, when this ferminted again to 1010 added sugar to 1010 and it stayed there making a semi sweet wine.It cleared fine using Sparklloid powder.Was a one gallon jug. Tomy Edited by: Tomy

50F is not cold enough to kill the yeast. All that will do is slow them down, and they will re-awaken once brought back up to temp. This could cause you to have at worst, bottle bombs, or at best, fizzy wine. To really kill the yeast, you will need to bing it down to between 25 and 30F for a couple of weeks, then sterile filter (.5 micron or less) to ensure that you have removed the yeast.

Latest posts

Back