Steuben and Buffalo Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bob Worgul

Greetings:

Buffalo and Steuben grapes are blue varieties that look similar to concord but have an entirely different taste that is most delicious and very sweet.So this year I made a three gallon carboy of each which I will shortly sweeten and bottle. Before I do this however, I am wondering if anyone has had experience with these two grape varieties and will share their thoughts and recommendations with me.

By the way, the buffalo grapes are so delicious and attractive, that I thought it only proper to give them a new name for sales to my customers. So I call them Godiva. A more fitting name, I think.

Bob Worgul
Lansing, Mi

Greetings:

Buffalo and Steuben grapes are blue varieties that look similar to concord but have an entirely different taste that is most delicious and very sweet.So this year I made a three gallon carboy of each which I will shortly sweeten and bottle. Before I do this however, I am wondering if anyone has had experience with these two grape varieties and will share their thoughts and recommendations with me.

By the way, the buffalo grapes are so delicious and attractive, that I thought it only proper to give them a new name for sales to my customers. So I call them Godiva. A more fitting name, I think.

Bob Worgul
Lansing, Mi
Hi Bob. I just came across your post, many years after the fact. 😟 I'm not often on the site... I have a mystery grape in my small vineyard (just south of Cadillac) that was tagged "Seedless Concord" when I bought it, but it's neither seedless or Concord, having no foxiness whatsoever. Could it be Steuben? I've been trying to figure out which variety it might be for quite awhile.

Mark Ashworth

Northern Mi how cold do you get?

Beta has the best cold resistance.
Other Fredonia, Concord, Stuben which produce big 5/8” berries, flavor is more foxy with high sugar and less if picked green
northern hybrids generally 3/8” with a max of 1/2”. Clean not foxy flavor

Latest posts

Back