Sterilizering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomy

Reaction score
I have read about sterilizering and from what I have read I am directed after sterilizing to rinse with cold water. Doesent this defeat the purpose as my cold water has a lot of lime and other things in it?

If you use potassium (K-meta)or sodium metabisulfite (Na-meta)to sanitize (we are not sterilizing)no rinsing with water is needed. Some sanitizers might call for rinsing and you should follow the manufacturer's instructions for these products.

Tomy, if you get wour water from a municipal source, as opposed to your own well, then chlorine has been added to kill bacteria. Rinsing with that water will not contaminate your equipment. Lime is an inorganic mineral, as are other components of the water, and will not grow in your wine.

Many of us feel, however, that if you are adding water to a wine concentate kit, and your water has a high mineral content, you should use distilled water from the grocery store.

What part of the country are you from? I spent 20+ years in the water treatment industry and may be familiar with your water quality.

I have always thought that you wanted good quality drinking water, not distilled.Most kits instructions that I have done do state this. The tap water here is sufficient, except the one time in the spring when the city back flushes the water lines, then if I am making a wine I use bottled spring water.

Latest posts

Back