starting SG help check my math

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyiswine

Reaction score
I want to make a high alcohol chocolate cherry wine then backsweeten. I put cherry juice and 8 ounces cocoa powder in the blender and made a chocolate cherry milkshake. Then dumped the blended chocolate cherry into the primary bucket with cherry juice and sugar. Problem is my hydrometer doesnt seem to be giving me an accurate reading due to the solids i blended when mixing the chocolate. It reads a starting SG of 35 brix.

I calculated i have about 2400 grams of sugar in my must which is just about 7.5 liters total. At 20g sugar per liter to produce 1% alcohol i am guessing my abv at about 16% which would put the "real" SG at about 28.5 brix. Can anyone lend any advice if my math is correct?

You could try running a sample through a coffee filter first..

RR

Bump...still need some help.

So I got some more cherry juice and wanted to check my SG. It reads 1.080. The grams of sugar per liter is 100. Shouldnt the SG read lower? Using 20g/l to make 1% abv seems the brix should read 10 where as it reads 20 on my hydrometer. I checked the temp and it was 60f and also calibrated my hydrometer. Any suggestions for checking the abv of this juice?

take a stanless steal strainer and place that into your must, now use the juice that comes up thru to take your reading.

Latest posts

Back