Starting Muscadines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
This probably isn't the right forum, but. I received my muscadine vines today from ison's nursery. I have 45, 2 year old vines and 45 Blue X Plant Shelters. I have 25 ea "Ison-Black Self-fertile and 20 ea "Darlen - Bronze
Female". I have 9 rows with cross-ties at each end and between each cross-tie I have 3 ea 4 X 4 X 8 post spaced 25 feet apart and am using #9 Tension wire with "gripper wire joiners. Had soil tested and will need to add lime. It is suspose to rain for the next two days so I will have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to plant, the lady at Ison's said that it would be alright to wait that long, just keep the vines cool and moist. I should have muscadines in about three years, hope to sell some to locals and also wineries. Price for muscadines here run between $8.00 to $12.00 per gallon. The ones I bought last year were in one gallon freezer bags and weighed approx 5 lbs per gallon. My vines will be on a slopeing hill and will get sun most of the day.
Wish me luck!
Semper Fi

Latest posts

Back