RJ Spagnols Started: Grand Cru Int'l Series BC Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShepherdQ

Pusser Newbie
Reaction score
So I started this kit today, and I once again made a learning experience out of it. I figured this kit was super easy, no grape skins and no oak because it's a pinot, so I blew through the steps, and completely forgot to add the bentonite first thing! Called my LHBS and they said it was no big deal, since the bentonite just acts as an attractant for the yeast, but now I'm worried about clearing.

Will the clearing agents (kieselsol and chitosan) that came with the kit be enough to clear this wine?

Well, it's still early in the game for this kit so go ahead and add the bentonite. I would dissolve it in some warm water first and then stir it gently into the must.
I made this kit about a year ago and it is quite good.

Thanks Dugger. Due to business travel I may simply not get the chance to add it before first racking, figure extra time in the secondary will let the gross lees settle, and the clearing agents will get the rest.

Racked this to secondary today, SG 1.020. Will have to leave it past the recommended second racking date, away on business. I've been told before that this will be fine.

Made another mistake, though, which I'll put on the beginner's page so everyone can benefit from my 'experience'!

Bentonite during fermentation also absorbs so unwanted proteins and other things. Leaving it out is not exactly a terrible mistake, though.

Bottled! Storebought labels, obviously, haven't figured out making my own yet.

Will post final SG and ABV when I pick up my notebook.

A bit green when I sampled it, but Pinots mature faster than other reds, correct?

IMG_4602.jpg

Back