Cellar Craft Stagnet fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb1983

Reaction score
Hello! I was curious if its possible to add a tiny bit of yeast to help push fermentation in the secondary fermentation.

I check the specific gravity a few days ago and it's under 1.000 so it's dropping but slow.

Just give it time to finish up - especially if it is already below 1.000. Remember that at this point the sugar concentration is getting fairly low, and combined with the more toxic environment, the rate of fermentation will inevitably be slower.

Adding more yeast won't help unless you have no yeast in there, yeasties reproduce on their own.

The secondary can go slow, things to speed it up:

Temp change (warmer better)
Yeast energizer (not worth worrying about at this stage)
Adding oxygen (not worth doing/necessarily safe at this stage)

Bottom line is what is your definition of slow and what's it at? not all wine ferments far under 1.0, it could be just about finished. When it stays the same for a few days, it's done.

It should be slow, as the others have said. Do you have a rotten egg, or sulfur smell? How long has it been in secondary?

No! Thank god no smell. Tastes fine. I had it too cold in my basement and just added an electric blanket to it. It's my cellar craft amarone. It sure is stubborn lol.

I want to say just today. It was sitting for almost 25.

Would you rack it?

Every now and again I see bubbles through the waterlock. Must be fermenting?

It's the cellar craft amarone showcase

I made that kit once, back in 2007, and it went down to .992 for me.

and bubbles mean that CO2 is being released. Very likely if you have raised the temperature.

Steve

So if co2 is being released does that mean its still producing alcohol? How long did it take to drop to .992?

Check again in 3 days. If it hasn't changed, you're done. Move to next step.

So if co2 is being released does that mean its still producing alcohol? How long did it take to drop to .992?

Not necessarily. It could just be releasing CO2 that was produced earlier. I.e., even after it is done fermenting, it will still release CO2 for some time.

My CC Amarone kit went down to 0.992 after 26 days, with EC-1118 yeast. (However, it went down to 0.993 after just 8 days.)

Latest posts

Back