Sparkling Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a soda stream and am mastering the art of carbonating my wine without blowing too much out in foam. And, it tastes pretty spectacular. So this has me thinking about ways to carbonate and bottle the wine for later.

I saw a video using a pony keg, charging it with co2 and then using a fitting to fill the bottle without too much foam. But, the guy carbonated the wine to 12 or 13 PSI.

Given that champagne typically has about 90 PSI, I’m wondering how long a 15 PSI wine will hold over time. Actually, I’m wondering a lot of things:

How hard is it to use the old method of champagne (in bottle carbonation)? How much CO2 will I get? Will the wine be clear? So many questions.

FYI a Drinkmate is better for beverages other than water.

CO2 pressure will vary with temperature. You can get more CO2 in the wine by lowering the temperature. I’m sure it freezes much lower than water. Also it will be less foaming when colder. Might try putting it in the freezer for a while. Google says wine at 12.5% will freeze at 22F. At that temperature it will dissolve more CO2 and when it warms up will have a higher pressure. There should be charts you can use to figure out the pressure and temperature.

I haven’t tried this yet but I’ve wanted to for some time. My freezer died so I had to convert my keg freezer back to a freezer for a while. Someday I’ll get to it.

Back