Sonoma Compost

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sonoma Compost has a good deal on compost right now. It's 15% off. I was thinking of getting 10 cubic yards for our vineyard of about 100 vines. I'm wondering if that is about the right amount to use. I'm also wondering about where exactly to spread it. Should it go right up against the vine? Should it go only between the vines or rows and stay away from the base of the vine?

This seems like an awful lot to me (the conversion tool tells me that this is 7,5m³) - if you're going to use all at once!
Which area is your wineyard? Just calculate what a thick layer of copost that would be!

Also consider that grapes produce their highest qualities on poor soils! Very fertile soils lead to excessive growth, excessive yield, low sugar levels and bad frost hardiness.

Some compost probably won't do any harm but I'd rather have my soil tested and only use the amounts of fertilizers that are really necessary!

Compost for Vines

Hi windsorcavintner

Sonoma Compost is a low nitrogen compost, perfect for vines. If you can work into the soil a few inches, all the better, just be careful to not damage the roots. This compost adds valuable organic matter and water holding capacity without a heavy dose of nutrients. We have other products with high nitrogen, but I would avoid those in this application.

If you are spreading it on the surface only, keep it a keep it several inches away from the vines to avoid creating a home for insects or critters. Or consider using a mulch, such as our Vineyard Mulch to help with weed control and water retention. Very slow release nutrients, and a better top dressing than compost.

I would call our office at (707) 664-9113 and talk to the front office about the proper volume. Usually a couple of inches is optimal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! If we use the vineyard mulch, can we use that right up next to the base of the vines or should that be kept away as well? I think that we'd like to try some of both. We'd like to till the compost into the soil up to a few inches away from the vines. And, we'd like to put the vineyard mulch on top to suppress weeds.

Latest posts

Back