Solids in cider wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zog

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I start a batch of cider wine I add pectic enzyme and let it sit for a couple days in the cellar. Over those days solids will settle to the bottom of the carboy. I have been siphoning the cider off of that because I assume that it will help the wine to clear later on. But now I wonder if that is a mistake. Any opinions on whether that racking will result in losing some character in the final wine... such as fruitiness, complexity or mouth feel?

Before or after fermenting? I would keep the solids in until after you are done fermenting.

Agree with Rich. I have made several batches from cider and clearing has never been an issue. I don't use fining agents, just make sure it is completely degassed after aging for a few months and it should clear nicely on its own. I filter all my whitish wines, but have never needed to with cider.

I've made a lot of cider and always took the clear off-same as Zog.Not to say I am doing it the correct way.

In the case of an apple wine or cider, the only solids you might want to remove would be seeds if present. Other solids yield the true apple flavor - and especially during the primary fermentation process. Check these and other boards, some even like to leave a little of the lees in during secondary fermentation. A lot would depend on how long that primary fermentation takes. The longer that time the less likely that lees left in will add anything in the secondary.

My peach wine must had almost nothing left recognizable as skin when the primary was finished. A lot would also depend on the depth of flavor of the fruit used. Fruit with a very mild flavor would need to remain in the must as long as possible to give up all the flavor it can unless what is in there could yield something undesirable like bitterness from seeds in some fruit.

Just a newbie opinion.

Back