SO2 and pH testing (Vinmetrica)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbrown73

Clueless Winemaker
Reaction score
I've been reading up on SO2 as I'm getting close to bottling my fruit wine and I just added 1/8 tsp of k-meta to my Shiraz, though I had no idea how much actually needed to be added. I was thinking it had been three months, but checking it had only been just over two.

So, I started reading up on the subject and then I see to get it right, I actually need to pH test also as they said the pH can determine if you need more or less k-meta and also they said you should test, then add the k-meta then test again a couple of days later as when you initially add the k-meta some of it may bind immediately (over a couple of days) which will then lower the k-meta ppm to a level lower than intended. Blah!

I decided, I needed to test k-meta and figured I might as well get a pH tester too. I was looking at the A/O test and figured that was the cheapest and accurate, but with the things saying i should test before and after adding the k-meta waiting 15 minutes each time is a lot of time and well. Time is a preimum commodity with it so I figured maybe I would just get the Vinmetrica SC-100 since it's much faster. I also needed a pH meter and looked at the Phep 5, but when I compared the price of the two it came somewhat close to the Vinmetrica SC-300 which also tests TA.

I am a little worried as some people love it, others question it. (and a high price tag) With the price so and getting the TA test and I'm hoping to keep this hobby long term, I took the plunge and ordered the Vinmetrica SC-300. I hope it doesn't come back to burn me.

Does anyone else here have any thoughts on it? I think even with the high price tag, if it can really improve my winemaking results, it should more than pay for itself providing it works and I don't have to replace the probe a lot. (I plan to take the best care of it I can!)

Congratulations! I think it will be a convenient tool to have on hand. Staying within 1/8 and 1/4 tsp., should keep you in the safety zone most of the time. With homemade fruit wines and wine from grapes, you will undoubtedly feel more confident with your applications. Of course I'm a gadget nut.

And as always keep us informed with your thoughts and opinions.

Cheers!!!

I got one some time back and find it an invaluable tool. It's gotten plenty use with my kit winemaking, but its highest value to me comes in winemaking from grapes. Invariably, knowing your TA and ph with a high degree of accuracy is paramount, as well as for making sure that when you put the prized wine that you've labored over into bottles, that it's properly prepared for years in the bottle. I can't say I've ever felt burned.

I stopped just short of the SC-300 and instead got a pH meter from amazon (one that is recommended here) and the AO system. I was a little put off by the possibility the probe would go bad in time and need replacement, plus the initial outlay made me choose differently.

My system works with how often I need it. I tend to group the AO testing into one period and test 2-3 in a row and I only need to do it every few months. I keep the chemicals in the fridge and all seem to work well.

I still keep my eye on the SC-300......someday...........someday. :h

My new SC-300 actually came in the mail yesterday!! :h I just went for it despite the expense since I'm about to bottle my hard work since last October. Plus I have already secured 3 times the grapes that I did last year for this year so I wanted to make sure I'm taking care of my investments.
I'll let you all know how the testing goes and if I have any comments or questions. One question already: should I keep the reagents in the fridge or just keep it all in the box?
Cheers!!

Well, I'm glad there are people here with it in case I need to help as I clearly will have no idea what I'm doing! :h

David:

The instructions are pretty good and are easy to follow. Once you do each of the operations a few times, you won't even need to follow them. Just remember when doing TA and SO2 to go slow so you don't overshoot your ending point.

I find that a little tricky, you have to go slow to not overshoot your ending point but fast enough to get an accurate reading before the levels drop back down. Takes a little practice I suppose.

David, I'll add to John's, they have very good videos on their website. I was intimidated at first, now it's old school. I did make a cheat sheet, i.e. A quick follow reference, which helps me to remember. Their instructions are very good too. Good luck, Roy

Latest posts

Back