WineXpert Smell WE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mharris335

Reaction score
I have made three WE White wine kits over the past 6 months. Two
in bottles and one in the Carboy. I don't know how to discribe the
smell, but all of them have a smell to them that won't go away. I
am at the Stabilizing and Clearing stage and combined Packet 2
Metabisulphite and Packet 3 Patassium Sorbate with water. Then I
smelled it before putting it into the wine and it's the same smell that
is in my finished wines. I don't like the smell at all.
Will it go away in time or am I stuck with it?

You are probably smelling the k-meta which will go mostly if not all
away with a little time. Have you ever smelled this in a commercial
wine before?

Edited by: wade

No I have never smelled this in a commercial wine before. I have
had the first white in the bottle for 3 months now and I still get that
smell.

You might try decanting the wine and letting it sit for at least an
hour. I think that does wonders for commercial wines. Haven't tried on
my own yet but expect it will need to be done.

I guess it's like a Butterscotch candy with a hint
of metal. Next time you make WE kit and get to stage
3......smell it and it's a dead ringer for the smell in the bottles.
</font>

Thank you Masta, but I could not tell it people could still smell or
taste the KT in their wine after a given period of time. I guess
I am asking if this will go away if left alone for say 6 months.

Masta, thanks for the link. I have been worried about the same thing as I have tastes my WE kits in progess.

My WE Selection Merlot has been in the bottle for 2-3 mnths now, and still has a nose I describe as vegetal. However, when decanted and allowed to breathe for an hour, the character changes completely. What this tells me is that the vegetal character will age out of the wine, because part of wine ageing is the result of reaction with micro quantities oxygen diffusing through the cork. Also, much more oxygen diffuses through the walls of an oak barrel than through a cork, so commercial wines get the reaction faster.

Try decanting and breathing and then taste. Just pour a glass if you don't have a decanter, and leave it on the counter for an hour.

Dr Z is right on with the decanting suggestion as wines made with the equipment we all use does not allowthe proper exposure to the air and ability to breath.
I would totally agree that aging properly and decanting your wines before serving definitely allows themto achieve their full potential.

I've always been under the impression that KT is only really prevalent in reds, and not the whites. I certainly detect that cotton-candy like smell and flavor in the reds, but I've always been okay with the whites. Symphony was the only one that the smell knocked me over, but that was from how floral it was and was not expecting it!

The butterscotch smell though...I know that a buttery smell can possibly be a brettanomyces infection, but i'm not sure about butterscotch and metal.

Thank you for posting this, and your responses. I also have been afraid of this "kit taste", as I have noted with all my wines, and have actually been afraid to purchase any more kits because of this taste. While I enjoy the hobby of wine making, I would rather purchase a nice $10 bottle of wine, than have 30 bottles of wine that tastes like a kit. However, that being said, I have tasted some kits that do not have this "kit taste" and have been quite pleased with the outcome, so next, I will try to decant the wine for an hour!

Francie

So far Ive not heard of anyone ever having a kit taste with the all juice Mosti buckets or Masters edition all juice.

I've heard the same thing as Wade, no KT in Mosti products, very little to no KT in RJ Spagnols products (I've only had 1 that had it), and Cellar Craft reds with grape pack do not have it either. WE Crushendo kits do not have it either, nor do some of the Estate series. I've not heard of it either Vineco nor Heron Bay kits either.

I mostly stick with RJS, Mosti and Cellar Craft. I've also never come across it in a white wine.

We tasted another bottle last night and my wife told me she thinks it
smells like yeast instead of how I described it. I will try and
open it up for an hour this time and see if it goes away.

A proper decanter is also needed as they are designed to allow maximum exposure of the wine in the vessel to the air. I also give my wine at least a few swirls to help aerate it before drinking and this helps the reds wine's temperature come up to room temp from cellar temp. My decanters will hold a 1.5 L bottle and still be at the proper level and since I don't finish that much in one day I routinely cover the decanter and finish the following day. Any longer than 24 hrs oxidation starts to occur and it starts to go downhill. Here is a picture of a decanter (mine are similar). I was lucky enough to find a deal at a discount store and bought 4 for around $40.00 and they came with a set of 6 glasses each.

decanter-thumb.gif

Masta,

You got a good deal! I bought one of the Riedels for a much bigger
number! But the shape is similar - is graceful and functional at the
same time.

BTW on a trip to central Italy a few years ago, I noted that EVERY
decanter used by the restaurants visited in Venice, Florence, Milan and
Rome used that shape. And the wine was carefully poured in so that it
coated the entire surface of the vessel from top to bottom maximizing
air contact. The thought of it makes me want a Chianti for lunch.....

MHarris,

I also have this problem!!!! I keep leaning toward the Pot. Sorbate as the culprit. I think commercial wines are not processed using the sorbate, so maybe that is why we can not pick it up in store bought wines??? My question to the brain trust here is, can I skip the sorbate (voiding the warranty)and just bulk age for 3-6 months. This way I am sure that the yeast iswasted and the need for the sorbate is eliminated.

I just completed aMM Renaissance Chianti and I was terribly disappointed in the fact that italso had the "Smell".

My next (maybe last) is a MM All Juice Outback Shiraz, my thought is to try and eliminate the sorbate, bulk age and see what the outcome is????

I would greatly appreciate any feedback, I am truly disappointed.

Flaco

I have a few decanters, but I really love my Riedel "duck" decanter. All the others are like Masta's.

popup_decanter_duck_1700_14_unten.jpg

Back