Skip the Flu Shot...Drink Red Wine!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
<H2 =u-story-hdr>Red wine may help flu from mutating</H2>

ROME, Jan. 20 (UPI) -- Italian researchers have found that they could reduce the seasonal flu mortality rate in mice by 60 percent with resveratrol, found in red wine.

Italy's Higher Health Institute, Rome University and the National Research Council found that a molecule found in red wine -- resveratrol contained in the skin of the red grapes which give the wine its color -- can block the flu virus from mutating, reported ANSA Friday.

Red wine has been found to be good for combating cardiovascular conditions and diseases like Alzheimer's disease.

"This discovery is a very important because it increases the possibility of combating the virus and has proved effective against all different types of flu," researchers said.

The findings have been published by the Journal of Infectious Diseases.

The report is important because of the global alert over avian flu, which researchers fear could mutate and cause a pandemic, ANSA said

I'm going to disagree with this article out of experience.

I drink quite a bit
smiley9.gif
of red wine, and I have gotten 2 flus, 1 sinusitis and about 4 nasty cold sores since the beginning of 2006..... Okay, my life has been more hectic than a mouse's, but it has a lot more to do with your immune system and how strong it is than if you drink wine or not.

Always the skeptic,

M.

Just think how many times you could have been sick if you didn't consume that red wine...
smiley4.gif

I work for a Dr. and he made us all get flu shots(otherwise we would not be paid if we got the flu and had to be off sick). Everyone in the office has had the flu and missed work dispite the flu shot......except me...... and I'm the only one who drinks red wine!!!! So there ya go!!

Ramona

I like a good scientific study... If it's done right.It's about the only thing I'll listen to when it comes to my health. Nothing bothers me more than someone trying to sell me on an idea based on flimsy statistics or anecdotal evidence.

It has been said that anything can be proved with statistics. For example, I could prove that Ice Cream causes drownings by pointing out that the increase in Ice Cream salesincreases with the number of drownings every year...around summer time. Advertisers try to use flimsy statistics by giving surveys ("Four out of five dentist surveyed recommend...").

Anecdotal evidence is usedmost ardently by the weight-loss industry. I have yet to see acommercial for a weight-loss pill that gives any sort of scientific study results for the effectivenessof their product. All you see are theBarbie dolls holding up circus tent size pants and exclaiming "I lost 1200 lbs.!!" Subway(for several years, now) has based their claim ofhealthy submarine sandwicheson thestory of one man!

All that said, there is nothing more effectivein our decision making than our own experiences. I'm likeMartina, regardless ofwhat's happening in a lab cage, I've got to see it for myself. I'veread scientific studies thatsay red wine lowers cholesterol. Right now,I'm onCrestor for my high cholesterol. I've decided to stop my medication for the month of February (temporarily, no onepanic and go call my mother). I have a blood testMarch 6th. I want to see for myself if what I hear is true, as leastfor me personally.

BTW - I've never had a flu shot. Haven't had the flu in years. HOWEVER, I didn't start daily wine driking until a year ago. I guess we're all different. As the song goes, "What might be right for you, may not be right for some..."

In addition to drinking red wine and eating lots of garlic for my good health, I also wash my hands quite often which has been noted as the best defense to spreading germs from colds and flu!

I drink red wine
I wash my hands often
I get the flu shot

But most of all I don't go anywhere near someone with the flu or any other
airborn disease!

Latest posts

Back