Should I dump this?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
Should I dump this?

I've only went from 1.059 to 1.058 in the last 12 hours. (starting SG was 1.070 at 70deg, 7 days ago)

At this rate it will take me over 30 days to finish my primary fermentation.

Temp has been around 80 for the last 36 hours.

I added a yeast starter a few days ago.

I've been stirring in O2 a lot.

I've added more nutrient and energizer.

Last edited:
Start a new yeast starter and get it going good.add some yeast nuits to must. When starter is going good repitch yeast

Abe I don't know but I have done a couple of these now and had no problem??? I use Cotes de blancs yeast and I have even added extra lemon juice. What kind of lemon juice did you use? This is really strange. At this point as long as it was fermenting and not spoiling I would not throw it out. I would just let it ride.

Abe I don't know but I have done a couple of these now and had no problem??? I use Cotes de blancs yeast and I have even added extra lemon juice. What kind of lemon juice did you use? This is really strange. At this point as long as it was fermenting and not spoiling I would not throw it out. I would just let it ride.

I used generic lemon juice.

I used generic lemon juice.

I am sure you have checked to see if it had peservatives in it so I guess that is out. I use the Giant brand and have had no issues.. This really has me stumped and I guess others since no one is chiming in with any other thoughts.. Generally this is pretty easy stuff to make.. sorry I can't help but I will keep thinking on it..

I am sure you have checked to see if it had peservatives in it so I guess that is out. I use the Giant brand and have had no issues.. This really has me stumped and I guess others since no one is chiming in with any other thoughts.. Generally this is pretty easy stuff to make.. sorry I can't help but I will keep thinking on it..

It has the following:
1/40th of 1% Sodium Benzoate
1/40th of 1% Sodium Bisulfite as Preservative

It looks like Real Lemon contains something similar:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/468991/100_lemon_juice_by_realemon_review.html?cat=22

I think that is fine.. I believe any of these jucies have some perservatives in them. Like I said I am sure you checked that. So I am still stumped... haha

It sounds like you have all the elements for success. It's hard to say without doing a lot of analysis on your batch. It could be a fault of the juice, yeast, temperature, procedure, etc. The nice thing about lemon juice is that it seems pretty stable as musts go. It'll tolerate a longer start-up time than some other juices that will spoil or oxidize sooner.

It sounds like you have all the elements for success. It's hard to say without doing a lot of analysis on your batch. It could be a fault of the juice, yeast, temperature, procedure, etc. The nice thing about lemon juice is that it seems pretty stable as musts go. It'll tolerate a longer start-up time than some other juices that will spoil or oxidize sooner.

Cool!

I'm going to try one more yeast starter.

I was by an outer wall that was cold earlier, so I think that might have been it.

Latest posts

Back