Shiraz vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDRUM

Vinthropologist
Reaction score
My brother-in-law is buying a house with some established Shiraz vines in the backyard .. he's not even into wine so I put my hand up to look after the vines and, of course, take the grapes for my own nefarious purposes!
I haven't seen the place in person but judging from the real estate photos there should be enough to get a decent crop, and they seem like they are in pretty good nick.
It's coming in to winter here and I think they will move in around the start of August so I guess first thing is pruning ... any tips to hit the ground running for a good growing season?
1591944995325.png
1591945156243.png

I don’t know a lot about Shiraz or it’s preferences, but Sparky Marquis knows more than most. He and his wife own MollyDooker So if you search YouTube you’ll find your answers. By the way he does a great video on the Marquis Watering method to pack the flavor into the grapes towards the end of the season. Cheers!

Thanks Skashoon! Molly Dooker are just 40 mins down the road from me, in McLaren Vale. Sarah & Sparky divorced and Sarah bought out the business. Shiraz really likes the classic 'Mediterranean' climate so cool wet winters and hot dry summers, basically treat em mean to concentrate the flavours.
It'll be near the end of winter by the time my bro-in-law moves in so I hope that's not too late to prune, obviously I want to prune before the sap starts running again

Most grapes prefer alkaline soil, do a soil test to find your ph and most likely add lime to sweeten it a bit. You’re going to want to source a good organic fertilizer and have preventative measures in hand to prevent bugs and fungus. Routine applications of neem oil work for both, wettable sulfur for fungus and pyrethrin for bugs work well and these are all organic options. I never recommend synthetics for crops grown for consumption. Just my two cents.

Thanks Skashoon! Molly Dooker are just 40 mins down the road from me, in McLaren Vale. Sarah & Sparky divorced and Sarah bought out the business. Shiraz really likes the classic 'Mediterranean' climate so cool wet winters and hot dry summers, basically treat em mean to concentrate the flavours.
It'll be near the end of winter by the time my bro-in-law moves in so I hope that's not too late to prune, obviously I want to prune before the sap starts running again
Wow! Good news about being so near MollyDooker! Sad to learn of their divorce. I had dinner with Sparky many years ago when he visited the US. Great, passionate guy. This was back in the days of Marquis-Philips winery. They’ve persevered through many challenges and struggles. Good to see them back on top. As I recall, Sarah was the consulting winemaker for Shirvington and Henry’s Drive wineries. He brought bottles from all three wineries...magnificent! The Henry’s Drive Shiraz was incredible! Good luck with your vineyard!

Latest posts

Back