September 2014 Wine of the Month Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By my starting date in mid September the Red Panicled Dogwood berries were on the verge of going out. Migrating robins had taken a heavy total on the fruit that had been so abundant only weeks earlier. Although I typically make my wines in 5 gallon batches, the passing hours and miles forced me to change my plans. when I hit the 12 pound mark after three dys of berry picking.

The white berry of the Red Panicled Dogwood is rarely considered as a useful berry because it is a highly astringent berry, so much so it can put an unripe persimmon to shame in that department. However when you first bite into a ripe berry there is a surprising burst of sweetness combined with a nutty nuance that strikes the pallet before the astringents kick in.
This is the flavor I am looking to bring out.
When picking the berries I take any dried berries along with the fresh as they seem to contain less astringents and I will dry the fresh berries as well. the neat thing about these berries is they can be dried in any room without a dehydrater. just spred them on a tray with good air flow.

My recipe is for 3 gallons and consists of

12 pounds fresh berries then dry them.
3 gallons water
6 pounds Honey (Sugar can be used) I am a Beekeeper I use honey for everything!
3 tsp yeast nutrient
1 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
acid blend as needed
5 Campden tablets

Bring water to boil, remove from heat and allow to cool some add berries and honey, allow to cool and add pectic enzyme. cover and let stand for 24 hours.

Place in a sanitized primary.

Check SG and Adjust to 1.095 to 1.100

Check acidity and adjust to between .55% -.60%

Add yeast nutrient, stir then pitch yeast. cover and allow to work for 3 to 5 days stirring daily.

after 3-5 days strain into carboy and attach airlock.

Freshly picked berries ready for cleaning, (the trash can they are in is clean, all I use it for is berry picking :D )

big rac pictures 002.jpg

big rac pictures 001.jpg

Well I racked my plum wine today onto 2 tsp. Grand Cru Tannin. It is at SG.995. It sure smells good, so promising so far!

Red Panicled Dogwood wine, Which I have been calling Hair of the Dog has fermented to dryness with a SG. of 0.997. I have racked into sanitary carboy and am letting it clear, I am not big on using clearing agents so I will just let it settle and rack several times. It is clearing nicely! a nice golden white.

okay so here's what I've done so far..lol
Plum Wine 5-6 gal
approx.34lbs plums
2 L red grape concentrate
1 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
bentonite
3 tsp acid blend
2.24 FermK
30 g oakmor
2 oz med.toast hungarian oak
water
sugar
yeast Lalvin 1118

Day 1 -added the grape concentrate to plums with 10 liters water. Then added sugar to SG 1.094,pectic enzyme, acid blend, fermk,bentonite, oakmor and oak.
Day 2 SG 1.094 Temp.20 Ph 3.3 Pitched yeast
Day 3 It had a great cap on it *see pic* which I punched down then added additional 1.25g Fermk and 1.35g Dap.
I'll step feed another 1.25g Fermk and 1.35g Dap on day 5

Well I racked my plum wine today onto 2 tsp. Grand Cru Tannin. It is at SG.995. It sure smells good, so promising so far!

Well I haven't forgotten about my plum wine.Here's the update.
On April 11/2015 I racked onto 1oz of Hungarian oak cubes
Racked every 3 months onto 1/4 tsp k-meta

Bottled yesterday Jan 21/2016
I'll let it bottle age another 3 and will then pop one and update this

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back