Sediment before clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViNesv

Reaction score
I am using white wine kit for Pinot Grigio wine. I just finished fermentation, moved wine from carboy to another carboy (all dirt stayed behind in old carboy), added metabisulphite and sorbate and now doing de-gassing. Instructions says that I have to de-gas wine for 24 hours (stir hard 6 times), then proceed to add "Chitosan". So last night I de-gas wine and this morning when I checked carboy I saw that my wine was much clearer than yesterday and there was a lot of sediment at the bottom of carboy. I was very surprised about this sediment, so I have a question - should I move my wine to another carboy and leave sediment behind before adding Chitosan (for clearing), or just follow instructions and this sediment is normal?
This is my first wine kit, so I am not sure how to proceed with this.

TIA!

rack wine after three days from fermentation. the first sediment is from gravity. then add fining for clearing wine. rack again in three weeks. then age at least three months before bottling. add K-meta etc after three day racking.

rack wine after three days from fermentation. the first sediment is from gravity. then add fining for clearing wine. rack again in three weeks. then age at least three months before bottling. add K-meta etc after three day racking.

Salcoco,

Thank you very much for your help. I would like to clarify.
So you would recommend that I do not add "Chitosan" as per instructions after 24 hours after fermentation, but I should:
1. Finish de-gassing today.
2. <remove>Add wine/water to the top (2 inches from airlock) of carboy today. I should do that today, right?</remove> Scratch that. I saw your post in another thread that I do not need to add wine/water and it should be OK.
3. Wait 2 more days and then rack wine.
4. Add "Chitosan".
5. Wait 3 weeks then rack again.
6. Wait 3 months more, rack, then bottle.

Did I understand correctly?

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:
wine kit my way

I do the white wine kits for pinot grigio all the time
eh i wouldn't wait that long.
I'm assuming he has a lot more space than i would.

What i would do is after fermenting, move to the carboy.
whip the bejesus out of the wine.
what i do is attach a paddle to a power drill and place it inside the carboy and whip it for 5 mins, about 3 times over 2 days.
add chitosan, leave for a day and then add the last satchet.
then a load of dead sediment will fall.
i usually leave it for 3-4 days.
then i move it to a bottling bucket and bottle it.
leave the bottles with their cool wine labels for about a month.
then do what you will with it the irish way!

I do the white wine kits for pinot grigio all the time
eh i wouldn't wait that long.
I'm assuming he has a lot more space than i would.

What i would do is after fermenting, move to the carboy.
whip the bejesus out of the wine.
what i do is attach a paddle to a power drill and place it inside the carboy and whip it for 5 mins, about 3 times over 2 days.
add chitosan, leave for a day and then add the last satchet.
then a load of dead sediment will fall.
i usually leave it for 3-4 days.
then i move it to a bottling bucket and bottle it.
leave the bottles with their cool wine labels for about a month.
then do what you will with it the irish way!

Thank you for help! All I have is one last small bag with "Chitosan", all other ingredients are already in my wine as per instructions. What was supposed to be in the last satchel? My instructions say that after "Chitosan" I have to wait for 10 days before bottling, so I will follow that.
I did a lot of de-gassing yesterday, I also used drill with attachment and as per some suggestions I found on youtube, I did first de-gassing in primary fermenter because it has more space for CO2 to escape, then I moved it back into carboy.
Murphyaii - When you make your Pinot Grigio - do you add water/wine to fill carboy headspace? I do not have extra wine I could add, I read conflicting reports about if I need to fill headspace to make sure that carboy is full or I risk oxygenating my wine. I could add water, but in another thread I was told it is not a good idea, so what do you do?

TIA!

you should definitely top up your wine if you are almost done degassing the wine. the CO2 would act as a shield but once thats gone, you are more exposed to oxidation.
there are 4 ways:
1) top up to neck with water
2) top up using similar wine
3) use marbles to bring your wine up to the neck
4) top up with juice (before completely fermenting)

Thank you for everyone for help! I added almost 1.7l (half gallon) of water and now as per instructions will wait 10 days. As per recommendations I might choose to wait a bit longer, I'll see.

Thank you for everyone for help! I added almost 1.7l (half gallon) of water and now as per instructions will wait 10 days. As per recommendations I might choose to wait a bit longer, I'll see.

what size carboy are you using?
the downside of water adding is that it could thin out your wine. if that is a problem for you, you can use f-pacs (or flavour packs) into your must during fermentation or use it after for backsweetening.
i dont have a link handy but, you can find how to make f-pacs from this if you use the search bar.
its basically just boiling juice or simmering fruits down to make a concentrate.

Thank you for help! All I have is one last small bag with "Chitosan", all other ingredients are already in my wine as per instructions. What was supposed to be in the last satchel? My instructions say that after "Chitosan" I have to wait for 10 days before bottling, so I will follow that.
I did a lot of de-gassing yesterday, I also used drill with attachment and as per some suggestions I found on youtube, I did first de-gassing in primary fermenter because it has more space for CO2 to escape, then I moved it back into carboy.
Murphyaii - When you make your Pinot Grigio - do you add water/wine to fill carboy headspace? I do not have extra wine I could add, I read conflicting reports about if I need to fill headspace to make sure that carboy is full or I risk oxygenating my wine. I could add water, but in another thread I was told it is not a good idea, so what do you do?

You have 2 options really.

I tried adding water the first time and ended up with watery wine.
however, there is a little trick here.
if you add water it will make it watery but if you add tartaric acid(juice from grapes) which can be bought online it adds back the body while balancing your ph taste.

What i do now is either buy a cheap wine of the same type or believe or not use marbles .
clean the marbles and sanitise and just drop as many as you have.this will increase the water volume to the neck of the carboy without affecting the wine.

Latest posts

Back