WineXpert Secondary fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelley62

Junior
Reaction score
I am making Winexpert Austrailian Cabernet Sauvignon for the first time and I checked the specific gravity after 10days(Nov.11) and I needed 0.996 but I got 0.998 or 0.997ish. I checked it for the last four days and it has not changed. Do I have to wait until I reach 0.996 before stabilising and clearing or can I go ahead? My temp. throughout has been approx. 70-72 F. with heat belt on the carboy.

I am making Winexpert Austrailian Cabernet Sauvignon for the first time and I checked the specific gravity after 10days(Nov.11) and I needed 0.996 but I got 0.998 or 0.997ish. I checked it for the last four days and it has not changed. Do I have to wait until I reach 0.996 before stabilising and clearing or can I go ahead? My temp. throughout has been approx. 70-72 F. with heat belt on the carboy.

Welcome to the forum.

Once the SG stops falling for three days in a row, fermentation is complete. 0.996 is only a reference, which you may or may not ever reach. That fact the SG has stopped is what you are after.

Go ahead with your instructions that follow fermentation.

Thankyou:)

Thank you for the welcome and the quick response. I am going to start stabilising and clearing tonight.

Thank you for the welcome and the quick response. I am going to start stabilising and clearing tonight.

Don't get into a big hurry bottling that kit. When it starts clearing, give it an extra month at least, so you won't end up with sediment in your bottles. Keep the carboy topped off with Merlot or Cab the whole time it is clearing and until it is bottled.

Also, after degassing at a temperature of 72F or even higher, taste the wine and make sure it doesn't still taste fizzy. If it does, degas it some more.

Good luck with your wine making and have fun.

Hi Shelly! Welcome. +1 to what Robie said. Additionally, your hydrometer could be "off " by one or two thousandths. I have one that is off by .005. In other words, I have to add .005 to whatever my hydrometer reads. Good luck.

Back