Second Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

June Cerrito

Junior
Reaction score
Hello All,
I have some Merlot that Has been in carboys for about a year now. It seems to be somewhat fizzy. The taste is good, except for the fizziness, and there are no off odors. The Brix reading is 0, so primary fermentation is done and a rudimentary alcohol reading was about 13%. What is going on and what should my next steps be? Is it MLF? I did not add any yeast to make that happen. Interestingly, we also have the same Merlot aging in a whiskey barrel and this does not exhibit fizziness.
Thanks for your help!

I doubt it is currently going through an active MLF a year later. It is most likely residual CO2 in the wine, that has been captured in the glass carboy. You can search on degassing, via a number of methods.

Norcal, can you send some references for degassing?
An important element for efficient degassing is to bring the wine above 70 degrees, as the higher temperature allows the CO2 in solution to escape easier. For carboys, there is the classic WIP on the end of an electric drill, which I don't recommend. I do vacuum transfers with an AIO pump and/or use the head space eliminator, keeping the wine under vacuum, while I give the 1/2 filled carboy some swirls.

Back