Say Hi To "Bertha" and her babies

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
Rescued her from sudden death out of an old Pump panel on one of our Truck Wash systems that came back in for a refurb the other day. Put her in a plastic jug I had at work and threw a couple of crickets in with her. The next morning she had her a new web woven all in the jug, the crickets enscapulated and yesterday her brood began hatching. Literally by the hundreds. All of those little flea looking critters are baby Black Widows. Yep, she is the Black Widow, feared by some, loathed by most and admired by a few. Me being one of the admirers. I am fascinated by all forms and aspects of Insects, Wildlife and Birds. As soon as the rest of the eggs hatch out I will release her and her brood into the woods.
20060926_153215_black_widow.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

yea... you're going to release them down in Benton right? I've yet to come across one of those babies although I've seen several tarantulas since moving to AR. Saw a big ol' copper head at Petit Jean the other day.

Appleman, I could not for the life of me figure out how everyone made such a fuss over Wilbur when they had a spider who could write!

Whoa Waldo,

I love wildlife, but draw the line with spiders and snakes. We had these along with the nasty "Brown Recluse" in NM. The Recluse gave a nasty bite that literally eats the flesh around the bite
smiley11.gif
. I'm glad you are releasing them in AR and not OH!
smiley36.gif

Hey now..There are plenty to go around if anyone would like me to send them a couple...
Your right appleman...perhaps I should change her name to Charlotte

After being bitten by 2 different Black Widows within 2 minutes and spent a week feeling like I went the distance with Mike Tyson (ear bitting included) my feelings on them is well....you can keep 'em!!!
smiley11.gif
Sorry Waldo, I just can't stand the little buggers. I admire your detication to nature but I'm gladthey are way down there when you let them go!!!

Pete

Hey Waldo,

I notice that the camera quality is not so good on that picture.
You must have been a loooong way away and using a major zoom lens
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
Edited by: peterCooper