:rn :m :? NOW WHAT?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebiedoo

Reaction score
I would just love to buy something and have it work as promised. I know I'm not this challanged :) So, I buy the Venmetrica SC-300 and was never able to calibrate, sending it back to see if they can figure out why. NOW, i have a Refractometer that disagree's with everything else in my shop. What would all y'all do in this case.
I have 3 batches fermenting in Bruts a batch of Lodi-Gold Cab Sauv (from grapes) Lodi-Gold Pinot Noir Juice and Luva bella Barolo (Mosto Bella juice).

Pitched yeast on all 3 last Sunday. All have been fermenting nicely and have started to slow their activity. the both juices read 1.00 to 1.01 with a Hydrometer, and don't taste sweet. the Cab Sauv must has also slowed but is still showing 7.5 Brix (1.03 SG). That didn't seem likely as it also did not taste sweet. I tried my best to get a hydrometer using the auto siphon tube and came up with a 1.01

I then retested my hydrometers (3) in DI water at 65 degrees and all three read around 1.00 or 0 brix. I then UN-calibrated then re-calibrated the Refractometer and it's reading 7 to 8 brix on all three batches. So, I'm inclined to believe there is something messed up with my refractometer as all other symptoms. I don't get it. How can the meter bo off that much????
:?:?:slp

Your refractometer is working correctly. That is about what the reading should be as it approaches dryness. The alcohol is skewing the refraction so you need to apply the correction factors to the reading to get the true sugar level.

Here's more information and a spreadsheet to help with the calculations.

http://valleyvintner.com/Refrac_Hydro/Refract_Hydro.htm

Latest posts

Back