WineXpert Riesling Icewine Style

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This kit arrived today and am ready to start it this weekend.
Anything about this kit I need to be aware of?

Ok I'll bite. I made this and it turned out really good. It's VERY thick. Almost sickly. Not sure if it thinned over the last few months. I'll taste when I get home. Very good Riesling taste. I did not tweak this at all and turned out great. Hope you enjoy it.
Made this before my brew belt purchase but it fermented without a problem.

Maybe the fpack got it thicker?
How long did you age it where you noticed it was ready to drink?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

ImageUploadedByWine Making1392584370.890434.jpgi thought it was ready to drink at about 2 months after bottling. The alcohol has tamed down since then maybe now 6 months. I would probably not add the f-pak to primary because this is how it should be. That said, you could try if you would like it a little thinner.

That looks like a nice color.
I just started it and will be pitching yeast in an hour when the juice temp is around 72~75.

I will add fpack per instructions on secondary.

Also, it didn't come with any oak powder but I added a couple ounces of med toast french chips (all I had available close to powder) to the juice now in primary.

Hmmm I hope you like it but its a crisp fruity flavor. I don't know if oak is a good fit. I hope it all works out though.

coleman and geek what was your starting SG... I`m thinking about trying an ice wine .Do they have a high ABV?...Looking forward to more posts from you both

Thanks geek.... I think I'm gonna try it!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Wine Making mobile app

BTW - This fermentation seems to be slower than any others I've seen.
The blue packet red star yeast (2 packs added) is doing its job but sort of silently, no foam creation like other yeasts and SG is coming down but very slowly. I am trying to keep the must temp within the kit's recommended range of 72~75.

It is going though, initial SG was really like 1.165 Sunday and right now is about 1.160 or maybe a hair lower.

Mine took 7 days to go from 1.165 to 1.080.

How dry did you get it?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Wine Making mobile app

I don't quite remember. It was quit a while ago but I reread the instructions a scratched my head not remembering anything of this wine. Haha. I make dry reds all the time and this was a whim purchase. Looking at it now, the people I bought it for would have been better served with a moscato force carbonated. However I can tell you I had half a 375 and had to sit down for a bit. Not sure the abv but guessing 15+?

I am doing this kit right now, funny thing is last night we just realized that it had two yeast packages (as in one never made it in, lol) The fermentation has been lightning fast as it took 6 days to go from 1.160 to 1.071, I then racked it and am waiting on my ten days. It has been in the secondary for two days now and has slowed slightly, but I suspect I am already below the stabilizing S.G. of 1.060.

Mine is now really clear after chems; probably racking tonight to get rid of sediment and maybe leave in another carboy for another month or so before I bottle.

So they stabilize before all the sugars are fermented plus adding an F-pak? No wonder it's so sweet and thick. That leaves about a 13% ABV, as anyone taken the fermentation further towards dry?

So they stabilize before all the sugars are fermented plus adding an F-pak? No wonder it's so sweet and thick. That leaves about a 13% ABV, as anyone taken the fermentation further towards dry?

Fyi, I did a bench test when adding the F-pack. I lined up five glasses and added different amounts of the F-pack to each. I wound up adding about 2/3 of the F-pack and it was still syrupy sweet. Alternately you could add half of the F-pack to the entire carboy, taste, add more, taste and so on till it hits your sweet spot.

Back